SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irishstjean

Is a white kitchen out of vogue?

irishstjean
15 years ago

I've always wanted a white kitchen with beadboard cabinets but I've been told by a kitchen designer that they are out of style now. What do you think? I am in New England, traditional high ranch style home.

Also, can you have white cabinets with white appliances?

Thanks, Jen

Also wondering about Decor and Legacy brand cabinets

Comments (51)

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

rule number one: don't listen to your kitchen designer.

get what YOU want. and if your KD thinks a white kitchen is "out of vogue" then i'd suggest you find a new one with a better aesthetic. do a search as this topic has been discussed to death. i think the overall consensus is while a large number of people have gone white, a white kitchen is a classic staple. a classic never goes out of style. KD's? questionable. good luck on your project and do what you want. not what someone else tells you is "out" or "in".

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Better not be. I'm doing a white kitchen and so are others. Seriously though... I couldn't care less what someone else thinks is in or out. I L O V E white kitchens. LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. I love them with light counters. I love them with dark counters... soapstone counters... butcher block counters... wood floors, tile floors.... Have I told you how much I love white kitchens???? LOL

So what does your KD think is IN style???? Grey?? Chocolate??? PULEEZE. Not that they're not beautiful, too, but they ain't white.

do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful

• Related Discussions

If you glasses come out cloudy, if your tub has a white film try

Q

Comments (6)
    As per my May 14 post: For the last couple of months, I've been adding two teaspoons of citric acid to the main compartment along with my detergent. Every load. The dishes have never looked better, even more so than when using Lemi Shine as directed... The main ingredient in Lemi Shine is "fruit acids" a/k/a citric acid. You're also getting some fragrances and fillers. I've cut out the middle-man and now just buy straight citric acid -- C.A. is about a tenth of the cost of Lemi Shine, works better because of it's "pure potency", yada yada... Here is a link that might be useful: Just one seller of Citric Acid...
    ...See More

Photos of chipped/dented painted cabinets

Q

Comments (8)
    We have a stained island because we thought this would get the most wear and tear. We have painted glazed cabinets on the perimeter. One of our cabinets got a pretty big ding in it during the work on the kitchen. It was on the side panel, right in a raised piece of woodwork, in a very visible spot. We could have made the KD/GC replace the cabinet because the ding was caused by the workers. But the KD asked if he could try touching it up first. It took him quite a while, and several days of touching up, letting it dry, glazing etc. But honestly, it would be hard for me to point out the exact spot where he touched it up. And this wasn't just a scratch in the paint, but an actual dent in the raised wood. No one would ever notice it. He matched the paint and the glazing perfectly, even though the paint was put on at a factory and he did it by hand. Now I doubt I'd do as good a job as he did, but I will call him if I have any need to have such a major touchup done again. Must keep his number! I had stained wood in my prior kitchen, which looked good as new after 10 years. I hope the white holds up, but I don't expect it to hold up quite as well. It has only been about 5 or six months, but so far so good. We used beadboard on the wall under a counter with stools, and figured that would hide scuff marks better than solid white. We also don't let the kids wear shoes when they sit at the counter.
    ...See More

Are entertainment centers/wall units still in vogue?

Q

Comments (47)
    I think the outdated look is the one where the entertainment center is too big for the room. When it overwhelms everything in the room and is the center of attention. That "look" is outdated but the actual entertainment centers are not IMO. Here are a couple pics of mine. It's huge. But the room is huge and is open to the kitchen and the ceiling is 18' tall so the room isn't overwhelmed by the furniture's mass. I've included a full view of my room just to illustrate that there are other more important things to look at in the room than just the entertainment center. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    ...See More

White Antique kitchen cabinets -- backsplash too white?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm with Daisychain - just say no to 3 stones in one kitchen. Alaska White is a beautiful granite. It will be the star. Both of the backsplash tiles you pictured would be wrong. The one on the right because it is busy, and also a dated look. The one on the left cause it would be stone #3 in your kitchen, and because its veining going in different directions with each tile will not go with your granite. I recommend a quiet cream subway backsplash. Not only will go, but also is a classic. Not everything in your kitchen needs to be splashy and statement-y. Keep that in mind with all your choices.
    ...See More
  • giacomo_it
    15 years ago

these damn kitchen designers!!! :-) ..ops..I'm one of them but I have to tell you that I deal with many italian companies of kitchens cabinetry and their productions White is always the color that beat all other finished even classic wood.

the only thing that I will look is not do white appliances but maybe the new ones cover in white glass.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Sheesh I hope not! My white (and I do mean white) cabinets were installed today. I have cut pictures out and drooled over white kitchens for nearly 20 years now, so they can't be too trendy if they've been featured in magazines for all those years!

If white is what makes your heart skip a beat then do white and don't let anyone talk you into what "they" think will make you happy or will help you sell your house later on. I was so happy today when they put my cabinets in that I nearly cried.

Trends are things that OTHER people tell you to love, the rest is just what YOU love!

Kat :)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

In 1976 we moved into a 50-year old lake cottage and ended up totally remodeling and adding on for year-round living. I chose DARK wood cabinets. Twenty-five years later we tore down that house and rebuilt. I was SO tired of dark! Hesitantly, I went with white, and loved it. Seven years later we moved out of state and are building another new house. Kitchen? White again, although this time with a contrasting charcoal island. The countertops went in today and I love how it looks.

Follow your heart. You'll be happy, and you're the one whose happiness counts.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I think white kitchens are a classic, but the details can change. I think beadboard on cabinets is not as popular as it has been at other times. You see it more on islands (especially the back side or ends), inside backs of bookcases, and backsplashes as well as some doors. I think the most important thing is whether it fits your home.

It was too country/cottage for my home and I thought it was probably too many lines for me to be happy looking at to put it on all my cabinet doors. I love beadboard though, so I have it in the back of my two cherry open shelves. Cookbooks hide most of one, but you can see the other in the back of my hutch. I've seen similar treatments in white here.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

forgot to mention: we were searching for our first house in 1992. went to see a home built in 1901. this thing had the ORIGINAL kitchen in it.

white painted cabinets and a stainless gas range.

yep. if it's been around that long it must certainly be out of style!
    (did you fire KD yet?)

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Don't listen to the kitchen designer, a white kitchen is always in. I have a white kitchen and I love it.If you really want the white kitchen with the bead board, go for it, you'll love it.

• ebse
    15 years ago

Not only is your KD wrong, but he/she is really wrong! I think the opposite is true. If you want a truly timeless look, go white! White kitchens have been around for ever and will continue to be around for ever. They are not "trendy," which is probably what your KD is referring to. But do you really want to sink all your cash into something trendy, such as a dark glaze or heavy distressing, that will look dated in a few years?

White is the BEST. Go for it! It will fit your new england home perfectly. You may also want to choose another KD. Id be wary of someone who is steering you in opinionated (and incorrect) decisions.

One word of caution, though: I've been told that white is more likely to chip, since the paint is painted on (rather than stain, which actually sinks into the wood).

Good luck!

• katiee511
    15 years ago

You either love them or you don't. Strong opinions for both sides. First, I wouldn't work with someone who disregarded my ideas. If I ASKED their opinion, I would expect it. If they USED their opinion to change my mind on something I loved, nope.

Styles, designs, trends in everything goes in and out of style. Who ever would expect bell bottom jeans to come back in style?? My 26 yr old med oak Cathedral Arch cabinets? Everyone here would say most definitely out of style. Painted white?? suddenly the Arch doesn't look so dated :)

My white painted kitchen was just installed this week. My fairly new white appliances went right back in also. In my opinion, if I was buying new appliances, I wouldn't have chosen white again. It's not terrible but I will change to SS as they die out and need replacing.

If you are remodelling for resale, maybe go with what is right for your market. But if you are remodelling for you, then go for what you love. Your gut and heart lean towards a certain look and you will be so happy if you trust yourself.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

New England is the home of the classic white kitchen. I'm surprised that your KD is telling you that. You might want to look around and talk to a few other KD's. Buy the most recent kitchen magazines and they are still filled w/white kitchens. Stained wood is beautiful and classic as well. But don't get talked out of what you love by someone who clearly does not know that white kitchens are classic and not trendy. Good luck.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Hi Irishstjean,

I am truly shocked your KD said that. A classic design
    for long term kitchens is white. Has she/he never heard
    of Christopher Peacock, Chris Madden, Juan Montoya,
    Jacques St. Dizier, Karen Blake, Diane Burn, and Elissa
    Culman
    (Here is Culman's link to white kitchens)

http://www.cullmankravis.com/

{{!gwi}}

I think your KD needs to take a refresher course on
    kitchens. Maybe she/he is bored of white, which means
    she/he might not be the KD for you.

Here are some quotes/pics about white kitchens to help
    ease your mind and help your KD to get a lesson.
    From
    ~Boxerpups.
    (wow, I think I sound kind of bitter this morning.
    Well I guess I am a little defensive because I love
    my white kitchen. So sorry to be grumpy. If you like
    white and want white don't hesitate. Have a super Easter)

Christopher Peacock's kitchen of the year was White with a chocolate Island but he champion's white. (....according to Peacock: marble countertops, white cabinetry, silver or nickel hardware and stainless steel kitchen appliances. " Rather than it being stodgy traditional, it's sort of up-to-date," Peacock says.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/04/AR2009030401051.html

What does your own kitchen in Connecticut look like?

It's a white kitchen, and it's not because I felt the need to put in what I'm known for. I didn't exactly have a choice: My home life includes my wife, and she really wanted that. I think personally I felt the need to do something a little different than something that I see a lot. I felt the pressure to be more creative than normal. [But] my wife really felt it was the right look for the house we were in, and she was right. We have a white kitchen, which is very elegant, very simple. It's a busy house -- we have three sons -- and it works for us. I think my wife was the very typical client in that she wanted the flexibility and the longevity of it.
    Said Christopher Peacock

{{!gwi}}

"Unlike fad colors such as the 1970s gold and avocado, white will never look dated. "~BHG magazine

http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/kitchen/gallery/reasons-to-love-white-kitchens/?page=1

"White kitchens are timeless and easy to update"
    Chris Madden
    {{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    15 years ago

What I don't get is how these desginers say "it's not in STYLE, don't get it!" Why would I want something that everyone else has?

I'm in the process of doing a white kitchen simply because I've liked them since I was a young girl, and I got so tired of living with my dark wood cabinets.

And with white kitchens you can add any color for accessorizing. I'm also keeping my white appliances.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

White kitchens are never going out of style but I think colour is back in a big way. If you check out the magazines you are going to see more layering of colour and wood and color combinations. I do think the white labratory (the last picture above - that's a kitchen for looking not using - the floor!) is receding. My Mom just did one and I have white cabinets in my current kitchen and I would never have one again, I think they are terrific looking but I want something that requires less to keep looking clean and is more forgiving than a painted finish is for working areas (for uppers or stacked areas without countertop breaks I would do paint). I would go hunting for pics of white kitchens with white appliances and see what you think, most of what I have seen usually involves a period or cottage look. White appliances look great with soft colours.

• irishstjean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I feel so much better! You guys are the best. That's exactly how I was feeling and when he said they are out of style I was crushed. We are not trendy folks and we have no intention of moving anytime soon so I'm not redoing for resale. In fact, when we bought the house 4 years ago, the previous owner was selling because it was time to either update the original 1962 kitchen and bath...or move. So they moved.

It's not a bad sized kitchen, 15x13 with an L shaped work area, and we intend to take down a non load bearing wall to open it to the dining room. Our mistake may have been replacing the appliances with new white ones - we didn't spend the extra for stainless because we don't really love them and we thought white would work with white cabs. Anyone have white appliances with white cabs? Can it be done?

As for the beadboard, someone did talk me out of using it for cabinets because apparently it collects dust - I've got one son and 2 black cats... I think I'll go with a simple door style and use beadboard accents elsewhere.

The cabinet line the KD was showing us is Debut, which is essentially builder grade with upgraded drawers and wood sides. We can't afford to do a big remodel now so we are going the affordable route and these priced out around $6300 uninstalled (we're doing most of the work on our own).

I'd love to hear your thoughts about full overlay vs 1/2 overlay as well.

Thanks again,
    Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: The Debut door style in question

• la_koala
    15 years ago

Hi Jen,

Some thoughts after I read your original post and the thread:
    - I too want a white kitchen, and would not hesitate to drop a KD who wanted to talk me out of it.
    - I also love beadboard, but because I am planning on using it in one of our bathrooms when we update it and because of the dust issue that you mentioned, I'm probably not going to have it in my kitchen.

About budgets: Are you any where within driving to an IKEA? I have looked at threads in this forum where people have done really nice looking white kitchens using IKEA cabinets. I am going to plan a drive to the IKEA in MA to take a look in person before I finally decide whether to use them. If you don't need any custom sized cabinets, IKEA might be an option for you to explore.

Hope this helps!

• irishstjean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi La Koala

Thanks for your thoughts. I did check out IKEA's web catalog and I'm not sure if I can get the look I'm going for - they seem so modern looking. I do live nearby the New Haven location so maybe it's worth it to go see them in person. People do seem uncommonly happy with them. Of course the KD dismissed all RTA cabs as "junk".

I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and disheartened by this whole process.

Jen

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Ikea is something you either like or you don't (I happen to). If you go to this page on the ikeafans site, there's a little slideshow of traditional kitchens done with ikea, and there are several in the finished kitchens blog here, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: traditional ikea kitchens

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned the only correct answer to the questions "What color is the kitchen?" and "What color are the bathroom fixtures?" is "white." :)

• irishstjean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi La Koala

Thanks for your thoughts. I did check out IKEA's web catalog and I'm not sure if I can get the look I'm going for - they seem so modern looking. I do live nearby the New Haven location so maybe it's worth it to go see them in person. People do seem uncommonly happy with them. Of course the KD dismissed all RTA cabs as "junk".

I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and disheartened by this whole process.

Jen

• fauxdeux
    15 years ago

Absoluty not! A white kitchen is pricless!!! I would go with stainless appliances rather than white to give it a modern look.

• irishstjean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think? Can white or off white cabs look OK with white appliances? And thanks, writersblock, I'm a fan of white fixtures as well :-). I can't afford to replace my 2 yr old white appliances now but I really want a white kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country style off white cabs and white appliances

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

I don't love the white appliances in your link because I think they jar with the cream colored cabinets (I'd have gone for bisque or stainless in that kitchen), but with white cabinets I think white appliances look fine.

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

irishstjean, I have to voice agreement with those who suggest that you find a KD who listens to you and designs for you, not for the trends. When I asked our designer about this, she told me that white is classic and that includes white appliances. I was so happy to hear that because I prefer white appliances (there are so few of us), plus we can't afford to replace all the appliances as we update our early '90 golden oak kitchen. You might say that she gave me permission to not follow the trend but to listen to my heart while keeping our budget in mind.

Because the cabinets are in good shape and we're not making major changes to the layout, we're going to either re-stain the cabs a lighter color (I saw a great technique of stain and glaze that gave red oak cabinets a lovely light fawn color) or paint them white or cream, adding both white, cream, and tan tiles to the backsplash to pull it all together. We're adding some hits of color elsewhere. I have red curtains I *love* so I'm keeping them and we'll probably go with Butterfly Blue granite counters.

As for white cabinets and white appliances, you'll find mixed opinions. Some say "no, you need to have differentiation" while others say that the various shades of white add depth to the design, that having the whites all match ends up looking sterile. You have to know which camp you're in. Do all the whites in the white kitchens you admire match exactly? If not, do you still like them? I'm in the "There has to be enough difference so that it doesn't look like I tried to match and failed" camp so we're leaning towards fawn stain or cream paint for our cabinets. We already have two whites to deal with - our appliances and the white woodwork in our house - and I felt that was enough.

My only beef is that because white appliances are not as popular (my appliances salesperson told me 90% of sales are SS), my selections are much more limited than I expected. It's a mixed blessing: it narrows my choices so that makes decisions easier but it also narrows my choices so I fear I might have to settle. My current headache is trying to find a island hood that isn't SS and isn't clunky-looking.

• joseph7505
    15 years ago

Shoot, I always get to these threads too late. Now all I can do is add an amen to the many who said design the kitchen you want to live with.

I personally am not big on designers because of your own experience with them. They know lots and lots about whatever is "hot," and they tend to push those concepts. But anything "hot" as I often say, will eventually cool, which is good for soup sometimes, but terrible for a kitchen that has cost thirty or forty thousand dollars. If you stick with the classics, you won't grow tired of them.

I personally would not want a white kitchen, but only because I much prefer wood with a naturalÂas opposed to stainedÂfinish. That said, though, white is definitely one of the classic kitchen colors. One of the woodworking magazines I subscribe to had an article some years ago about a cabinetmaker who lived in New York state and made his cabinets so strong you almost felt they could be dropped out of airplanes. And the kitchen they chose to illustrate his techniques was white!

Stick to your guns, Jen, you won't be sorry you did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet & Furniture Trends & Information

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

I agree with you writersblock (boy, can I relate), there's something a bit off in that white/white kitchen. I think it needs more color - there's not enough contrast for me.

I thought I'd post one of my inspiration photos in case it helps.

Past Perfect If you go to the 2nd photo in the series, you'll see the cream cabinets (they call it Eggshell glaze whatever that means) look against the white of the blue transferware. It gives me a good idea how that color of white/cream will look with white appliances. Dang, but I love that blue island, too.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Jen, you live near New Haven? I'm in New Haven/East Haven and bought my white painted maple cabinets thru West Haven Lumber. The KD there was/is FANTASTIC. I told her this was a 2nd home so I wanted something nice since my off time would be spent here BUT not spend a fortune since my little house is a fixer upper. I told her I loved Shaker style doors but not the price and she showed me similar feeling inset doors that were on sale!!!!! So my 11' x 12' "L" shaped cabinets cost me just under $5,000. Solid Maple doors 36" High, full overlay, plywood boxes. Blum soft close drawers. Really good cabinets. In my City Co-op I have top of the line Kraftmaid and they cost me closer to $9,000. So I'm thrilled.

I'm keeping the white existing appliances because they work fine and I don't happen to love stainless steel appliances which is lucky for me, I suppose.

IMHO, white and off white don't work together. My City kitchen has bisque appliances with off white glazed cabinets. If you have white appliances, off white cabs will make the white look dirty. But you have options with white cabs. that are glazed or stained and not painted white.

My kitchen cabinets are half in and I'm very happy with the quality of them.

• dtchgrl
    15 years ago

boxerpups - could you direct me further to the Cullman white kitchens...or at least a bigger picture of the small one in your post? I went to the website but didn't see many kitchens, and not this one. I love the look.
    Thanks!

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

Huh, I goofed on that link. Let me try it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Past Perfect

• ebse
    15 years ago

I tend to skim, so I might have missed this, but have you considered panelling your fridge and diswasher? Another thing, you could do a different color cabinet around the range (if that works with your layout) to break up the white/off white.

I'd agree that if you do white appliances, I'd choose a cabinet color that is close to "appliance white."

As far as beadboard, I love it too. Sounds like we have similar taste. Instead of doing it on the cabinets, which I thought might be overkill in my kitchen, we are doing it as a backsplash for our wine bar and then on the back of our island.

It is hard not to get overwhelmed sometimes, but I think the planning stage can be really fun, if you just take it for what it is.

• alwaysfixin
    15 years ago

IrishstJean - I am wondering whether we are judging the KD too harshly in that perhaps it wasn't the "white" that he was counseling against, but the beadboard. I just find it hard to believe that any KD would make a sweeping statement that white kitchens were out of style. I think you need to get clarfication on that. As already posted, high-end designers like Chris Madden and Christopher Peacock like white kitchens. Look at any home decor magazine, and you'll see white kitchens. As to beadboard cabinets, I would have to agree that they were a popular style some few years ago, at around the same time that "shabby chic" furniture was big (the '90's). You rarely see beadboard kitchen cabinets in magazines now, although if you really want them, get them. As others have said, get what YOU love. But Beadboard IMHO is best as an accent here and there, since it is a dust collector and hard to clean the crevices.

Re white appliances, they are MUCH easier to keep clean than SS, and will save you some money on your overall budget. Also, appliances, unlike cabinetry, are easy to switch out in a few years if you decide you don't want white appliances, or white isn't good for resale, or the darn things don't work. So enjoy your white appliances, and their super easy clean-up and lack of fingerprints!

I still think you should get clarification with your KD on whether it was the beadboard he didn't like, not the white. He may have been giving you good advice.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

If you've always wanted a white kitchen with beadboard cabinets....go for it! The nicest kitchens are the ones that fit with the personalities of the owners. If there is a decline in the use of beadboard these days then your kitchen will feel like a cozy breath of fresh air.

Appliance maintenance: stainless vs. white. I don't think any sweeping generalities can be made. I have stainless steel dw and fridge (Electrolux Icon--it has some sort of coating on the ss) and I find them MUCH easier to clean than our old textured white fridge and smooth black dw. I am horrible at keeping up with drips and fingerprints and I find the ss a snap to clean up quickly (with nothing more than a Miracle cloth.)

Go with what you love.

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

There is an all white kitchen - white cabinets, white appliances, white subway tile - in one of the kitchen design mags I picked up yesterday. Color is added with sunny yellow walls, green striped curtains, dark countertops on the perimeter and butcher block on the island, which is a soft gray-blue. The floors are pale wood. It's a bright, happy kitchen. Check page 100 in BHG's Big Dreams, Real Budgets Kitchen Makeovers, Spring 2009 issue.

I have plenty of kitchen mags so I didn't need to buy more, but I spotted 4 or 5 kitchens with white appliances in 3 different magazines. I snapped them up since it's so hard to find *any* kitchen mags featuring white appliances.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Lisa, can you post the pics of these all white kitchens with white appliances?....I just can't like SS or black..guess I am too lazy to keep them clean~~ THANKS

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Good Morning Irishstjean,
    I found some photos of White Appli and White cabs.
    And White beadboard ideas too.
    Go for what you love! I love White kitchens so I
    am always finding these great images to admire.
    I could not find anything specific on the cabs you
    are looking at. But maybe these ideas will help
    you figure out the white on white.
    Enjoy,
    Boxerpups

Oh here is a cute link too.

Top 10 reasons why White Kitchens Rock
    http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/posts/2853-top-10-reasons-why-white-kitchens-rock

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

White Appliances below

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This one is not white but the beadboard looks
    so pretty.

{{!gwi}}

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

phoggie, I haven't figured out how to upload pics here yet, but even if I did, I'm pretty sure that copying and posting magazine pages online is a copyright violation. Hopefully the pics and link that boxerpups posted will help. I spotted 3 that had white appliances and white cabinets.

One of my magazines asked readers to send in what they'd like to see in future issues. I'm so tempted to ask them to show kitchens that are not all SS appliances for a change. It's as if no other color exists. How the heck are those of us designing without SS supposed to find inspiration?

I spotted a book called Kitchens for the Rest of Us at the bookstore on Saturday. According to the back cover blurp, it offered help for anyone whose "... tastes yearn for granite but your budget calls for laminate, there is still hope for your kitchen makeover dreams." Uh, not sure I'd agree. If there was a white appliance kitchen in the mix, I missed it. All I saw were SS appliances, including lots of high end ones.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Vogue Schmogue.

I am always late to the party on these threads, but FWIW here are my two copperheads. I am already biased with the OP because I am doing a [creamy] white kitchen with beadboard panels on all my lowers. My uppers are just plain flat panels. I am using IKEA boxes with custom doors and am LOVING how this is looking so far. We added crown and fillers for a more traditional look. I have some SS in my kitchen--a stainless hood, wall oven, and warming drawer, but a white french door refrigerator and white cooktop, which are both brand new. (I decided against SS.) My trim is bright white, and I think it looks really fresh. My creamy white has a yellowish base, so the pure white contrasts nicely, IMO.

Oh, and it is MY kitchen, and I'm the one who has to live in it and look at it day after day, and this vision I have and have held for a looooong time just makes my heart sing. If you feel the same way, I say go for it! In the end, it is about YOUR vision, not some KD's trends.

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

I went through this myself and hired a certified kitchen and bath designer to help me with my kitchen design. I am so glad that I didn't go with her or her kitchen design. I am so glad that I took ownership of my kitchen design. I think sometimes we rely too heavily on so-called experts.

The kitchen really has to work for you and your life style. It should reflect your personality. It has to be your kitchen. Trust your own instincts and do your homework. I think the KD can help guide you through the process and make design trade-offs.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I personally think there is nothing more timeless than white, inset cabs.

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

I would go with your gut on this one. We will be building a new home soon and I have chosen white beadboard cabinets for the entire house: kitchen, laundry & bathrooms. Below is a link to my door style.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    15 years ago

I have not even started my kitchen remodel to date, and yet I can see, from my kitchen wish file, that there will always be the concept of a today's kitchen, no matter who designs it, looking "dated" 10 yrs from now whatever you do, but that even so, that same kitchen might be "updated" fairly easily with different appliances, or new paint, or a change of accessories. So certainly style is not about white, or wood, or whatever else, per se.

And how would it help us to have a crystal ball to know what might be "out" 5 years from now, if we don't love it now? So we could say, I don't really like this pistachio wall color and these stained cabinets at all, but boy, in 7 years it is going to be all the rage, and YOUR kitchen will be outdated!

And aside from issues of trying to get the best quality breakpoint ( that doesn't mean the most expensive ) and the best floorplan you can muster, who on earth can predict resale, in terms of who will love your kitchen or not? So to me resale is limited to being about what is kind of going on in your neighborhood and community and even THAT is a moving target.

So, concentrate on general good design principles, user-friendly, good light, whatever colors and finishes make you happy (to look at and to maintain).

• ebse
    15 years ago

I'm not totally sure I agree with the fact that no one knows what will and won't look dated in the future. White cabinets really have been used for decades and decades (centuries?) so I think to call them trendy is really off the mark. Contrast white with some of the "glazed" or faux distressed finishes, which seem to be a relatively new invention. If anything, my money is on those newer finishes appearing dated in the future. Polished granite? Perhaps trendy. Soapstone? Not on your life.

Of course, I'll probably go w/ polished granite, so I'll be sure to be out of style in 10 years. But really, who cares? As everyone here says, do what you love.

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

I think they are classics. Here is are several photos of Christopher Peacocks - they are classic and beautiful

Here is a link that might be useful: Peacock Kitchens

• s8thrd
    15 years ago

We're doing a white kitchen right now; it's true that it is trendy, but I don't see how it could ever be "out." BUT -- beadboard cabs could be another story. I like them, but rather than doing beadboard cabinets, we're doing painted beadboard paneling, with fairly plain recessed panel cabinets. Have you considered that option? Beadboard paneling is classic, but beadboard cabinets are less so.

That said, I don't think beadboard cabs would ever look bad -- go with them if you like them. BUT I think that those beadboard drawer fronts WILL date quickly (there's nothing traditional about them).

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

My mom bought a house that had white cabinets with white appliances and it looked great. The color wasn't an exact match but it looked fine.

The house was built in 1994 and the previous owners updated the kitchen by adding a new countertop, backsplash, and knobs. Since the cabinets were so classic they needed no updating.

• colls
    15 years ago

I have a white kitchen now and I'm redoing my kitchen currently. Many kitchen designers that I have spoken with have tried to talk me out of the painted white kitchen that I want. Mainly because of the paint - I have to sign a waiver because of the paint. However, I love white and it never goes out of style. One of the designers that I have spoken with said that 7 out of 10 kitchens that they do are white, even though the trend now seems to be darker kitchens. White is timeless. Don't let anyone say differently.

• matt4557
    14 years ago

It seems like any time a designer says something is in style it is certain to be out of style next year. Isn't that the point of "style"? I am removing a whole kitchen full of cabinets with bead board on the bases. It is a nightmare to clean since spills get in all the little crevices between beads. I am replacing my dingy white cabinets with brand new white ones. I think white cabinets and a warm wood floor are is the way to go. It will give a great open feeling to the room.

• lee676
    14 years ago

You'd be hard-pressed to find any cabinet manufacturer that doesn't have some white cabinets in their lineup. And though white cabinets are not *trendy* now (the all-white look was hot around 1990), they have never been "out of vogue" as long as there have been cabinets. Even more true for appliances - white has *always* been the most popular color, and still is (except maybe for cooktops).

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Irishstjean,

I was reading your post again and came across
    your question about Cullman & Kravis.

I am so very sorry I did not respond. I read it so fast
    I did not see you were asking about Cullman.

If you go to the Portfolio section it will
    show a lits of their projects.
    The photo is from the Greenwich House number 2.
    A design by this company.

I have not personally used this company for
    my home but have heard super things about them.
    Here is the site's e-mail contact.
    Maybe this can help.
    info@cullmankravis.com

I really know nothing more than just I like their
    web site and some of the work they have done.
    I hope this helps. Again, I am so sorry I did not
    read your question more clearly. Sometimes I zip
    through posts in an attempt to try to read everything.
    I miss a few things. :(

Hope you were not waiting too long.
    ~boxerpups