SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

Pull down attic door malfunction question

anita55
13 years ago

Hi all, another question that I hope someone can help with.

We have a pull down attic wood ladder with heavy duty springs on each side. On one side the spring always comes off its bracket when the door opens. The arm on that side looks like it's bent out. In order to get the door to close we have to bend the arm back in as much as we can and hook the spring back over the bracket at the top. In trying to analyze what could be causing this problem, the only thing I notice that the springs are hooked in differently on each side, in other words, on the left side the hook that holds the spring is inserted from the outside, and on the right side, the hook that holds the spring is inserted from the inside. Could this be causing the problem? We didn't install this and I have never seen another setup to be able to judge what's wrong. I have tried looking at photos online but I haven't seen a close picture of both sides of an attic door.

We have been able to pull the spring back up onto the bracket in order to close the door, but it's hard to do, and I would like to fix or replace whatever is causing the problem. The steps and hardware appear to be in good shape otherwise. Any advice on how to remedy this or do we need to replace the whole set-up? Thanks

Comments (12)