SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

My cabinet plans - what do you think?

Mom23Es
12 years ago

Overall I'm happy. I have a few minor concerns, but I *think* this is going to be a wonderful kitchen. I hope. I am very happy with the overall layout; I don't want to make any changes to appliance or sink locations and the window and doors can't be moved.

Here is the view from above. There is 45" between the main sink cabinets and island cabinets and 45" between the oven wall cabinets and island cabinets. The distance between the fridge wall and island counter is around 65", but we are still working out the counter depth there. The island ended up being about 5.5'x6.5' with seating on 2 sides (18in overhang).

{{gwi:1824761}}

Here is the view looking into the kitchen. We tried working in a lot of symmetry. There will be very tall crown molding on the cabinets and 5" crown molding along the ceiling.

{{gwi:1819720}}

Sink wall. Window will be set 4in above the counter with a transom above. I'm not sure about the solid panel door on the upper right, but the KD suggested it for symmetry. I wish I could just do wider upper cabinets, but we can't move the window to make it symmetrical.

{{gwi:1824763}}

Oven/rangetop wall. I love having the ovens and rangetop on the same wall, but it definitely made it harder to get wide cabinets and symmetry. I'm not sold on the ROTS under the rangetop, but I can't do drawers there because they won't line up with the drawers flanking the rangetop. I really need those drawers flanking the rangetop. Plus, I do like the look of cabinet doors to break up the small drawer panels. I just don't like the idea of opening both doors and pulling out shelves to get my pots and pans. The rangehood is made from regular cabinets and crown molding, and the two outer ones will actually be functional.

{{gwi:1819719}}

Fridge/MW wall. This one was a bit tricky. I didn't want the MW directly next to the fridge because I'm concerned that my elbow will bump the fridge every time I try to put food in or take food out of the MW. I'm not sure I like the 2 upper 15in cabinets though. I like the look, but I think a single 30in cabinet would be more functional. My builder suggested putting an OTR MW here since it won't be as deep. He said we could use 18in deep cabinets and put trim around it to make it look built in. I was concerned about losing counter workspace because of the cabinets sticking out so far, so he suggested making the countertops deeper here. I think I'll take him up on the idea and make the countertops an extra 2in deep. The base cabinet all the way on the left is a pull out trash. :)

{{gwi:1824764}}

Island views. I'm 99% sure that I would much rather forgo symmetry on the one side of the island (last pic) and get a 36in drawer stack instead of the 18in drawers and 18in cabinet. The other 18" cabinet is a must because it has the pull out trash/recycle. How cool is it too that there is a "hidden" 30x18 cabinet under the island?!? (First pic.)

{{gwi:1824765}}

{{gwi:1824766}}

{{gwi:1824767}}

I picked a super susan for the base cabinet corner and an easy reach for the upper corner. I wasn't going to get a pull out tray divider, but we needed a 12in cabinet next to the oven.

I'm very pleased overall. There are actually several cabinets that I have no idea what I'll put in them- I actually have more cabinets than I need right now. (Don't tell my DH that though! LOL!) My only wish is that I could get more BIG cabinets instead of so many little ones.

So, if you made it all the way through, what do you think? Did I do okay? Is there anything horrible that I missed?

Comments (7)