SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdanco

Retire from NJ to... Virginia? Pennsylvania ??

Patricia Danco
9 years ago

Hello All!
I would just like some feedback. My husband (age 70 ... still working) and I (age 62 ... not working) are trying to figure out where to go from here. We have lived in NJ all of our lives, but because of enormous property taxes and cost of living, we can't afford to stay if hubby retires. His roots run deep, so he thinks we should flee to PA. Mine aren't so deep, and I love VA. We just came back from a trip to the Fincastle, VA area, where we have friends, and it's beautiful, but seemed remote for us as retirees. On the way home, we drove through Carlisle, PA which looked appealing, but I'm reading a lot of negatives re: taxes and air quality. My husband is a car guy, I'm a fiber artist and history/antique/old house fanatic. Ideally, we would like a rural feel, but close enough to stores and medical facilities to feel comfortable.We have one kid still in Jersey, and one in VT, and although we would like to stay close, finances will make it tough. We're looking in the $250,000 range for a house with enough land for Himself to have a large garage or barn for 4 or so cars. (Hopefully we'll be able to sell our home here and put some money in the bank). Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths