SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suevani

Marble for cherry fireplace: Verde Mare or Grigio Carnico?

suevani
13 years ago

I have a floor to ceiling cherry fireplace mantle with cherry columns on either side. It is a traditional look, with detailed molding. I am deciding between two types of marble: Verde Mare (a dark green with white veining) and Grigio Carnico (A grey and black with white veining). Which would look best with the cherry fireplace? I think that the dark green marble looks very nice with the cherry, but I am afraid to commit to a color (rather than the grey, which seems more neutral). The walls will be Benjamin Moore Wilmington Tan (a goldish tan), the curtains are floral (featuring golds, reds, and greens), the sofa and love seat are brown leather, and the end tables and entertainment center are cherry wood. Do you think that the dark green marble might limit me in terms of decor in the future (for instance-- if I chose to change my sofa and/or curtains)-- or does fireplace marble color not really affect other color choices in the room? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• Tiffany Altieri
    13 years ago

I think the Verde Mare will go very well with your present decor, but if you change decor often and use different color schemes I'd go for the more neutral color as that will "blend" more.

• kellykath
    13 years ago

I just purchased 3 slabs of the grigio carnico today - for my master bath, tub surround, and linen area. After looking endlessly and finally finding a softer - more charcoally black, I decided on that myself. I'm only going to do this once and want to keep things classic. I believe that blacks, whites, and greys, never go out of style. They are timeless standards. Search fireplace pictures on google. I don't think you can go wrong with the grigio. I love it and it's a little harder to find. Good luck.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

My preference would be the Grigio Carnico. I prefer more neutral toned stones (especially gray, black and white) and I think it would be more flexible for decorating. However, if you absolutely love the Verde Mare, then go with it. I do not see any reason it couldn't go with a cherry fireplace.

• Tiffany Altieri
    13 years ago

Just to add to my above post, my preference is also the Grigio Carnico simply because it is more neutral and classic, but if you love the other one, I wanted you to know that I do think it will fit with your present decor. Just don't change the color scheme!

• suevani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all. I actually thought the verde mare went better with the cherry fireplace (and my current curtains) than the grigio. I was just afraid that the verde might limit my decor in the future-- or that the dark green might 'go out of style'.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I like the Grigio Carnico best...like you say "timeless" and it won't compete with any colors you add to the mix. But the Verde Mare can also be rich and classy looking. Think either would work...I look forward to seeing pictures...should be awesome.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I would never pick a color specific stone for a permanent surface that you most likely will never change. For that reason, a neutral is always the best bet. I made that mistake when I built my house many years ago and have been stuck designing around it in both my foyer, fireplace surround and master bedroom/bath. It took me 3 different paintings before I could get a color on the fireplace wall that matched my fireplace tile.

Neutral, simple, classic. White, cream, gray, or beiges. You'll never struggle with decorating this way.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Pardon my ignorance about stone, but would an option be one of the calacatta marbles that has a bit of the golds along with the greys? Is the idea that it's better to have a dark stone around a fire place?