SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

Our downspouts are wearing white socks -- help us!

gellchom
18 years ago

We recently had gutters added to our house -- yes, inexplicably, most of the house was gutterless. Anyway, Company A put up the gutters and downspouts, and Company B dug the channels and laid the drainpipes.

The house is an old, rather formal looking Mediterranean, sandstone with a red tile roof -- you know the kind. So we sucked it up and splurged on copper gutters for the first floor gutters, but dark brown aluminum for the second story (roof level) gutters, where you can't see it as well. It worked out fine.

The problem is that Company B connected the copper downspouts to the drains with a couple of feet of white PVC pipe. It looks just terrible -- really jumps out at you, all the way from across the street. I'm frankly very surprised that they did this in the first place.

When I called the company (hoping that this was temporary!), the lady was really nice -- she agreed that this was really unacceptable. But today she called back to tell us that they propose just to spray paint the white pipe brown. She agreed that it would probably only last five years or so, though. I told her I really wasn't happy with that solution, and she said she'd look into other solutions.

I'm sick about this. We spent a fortune on those copper gutters to keep the architectural integrity of the house -- and I think that the only thing that would look worse than white PVC pipe would be white PVC pipe with paint chipping off it.

So I came to the experts -- YOU. What other solutions are there? Isn't there dark brown PVC pipe, at least? Would paint really work?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County