SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diy2013_gw

Cathedral ceiling installing new ridge beam

DIY2013
10 years ago

Hello all!

I am in the design phase of remodeling a ceiling in my house to a vaulted or cathedral style. I hired a structural engineer and the plans have been drawn up. I need to install a ridge beam and sister the existing joists. My question is - What is the best way to install this new ridge beam? Do I support both sides with temporary supports and cut the existing joists to make room for the beam? I would have to most likely cut out some rafters to even get the beam up there but I am guessing do not cut all of them until the beam is in place? How should I sister up the joists? Any help or a link to a site that actually shows this with the steps would be helpful. I have searched but could only find installing it in a new build which does not really help. Thanks!

I added one page of the plans(the most helpful).
In thinking it over the plan would be to support both sides about 6 feet from the center and cut the existing 2X6 joists to fit the beam in. There is a ridge vent that may allow me to slide the beam in that way and then secure the existing joists to it/sister and attach new joists. The part that is throwing me off is - When do I put in the LALLY columns? Do I put them in before sliding the beam in having only the bottoms attached? Or should I support the beam temporarily on each end and then install the LALLY columns after the beam is in place?

This post was edited by DIY2013 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 7:27

Comments (18)