SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Ceiling beam size and install questions

pps7
11 years ago

I've always regretted not putting in ceiling beams in my family room. Despite major burn out from a drawn out and very dusty home theatre project, I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get them put in. The room really needs something to draw the eye up and I need the beams put in before I can order and install drapery.

Here's the room in question:

{{gwi:1403797}}
{{gwi:1403799}}

{{gwi:1403801}}

The fireplace wall is 17' and the tv wall is 16'. The height is 10'. The headers separating the rooms are 18". I would like to put 4 beams that are 8" wide running perpendicular to the fireplace. Now for my questions:

1. I'm going to use beams that are 8" wide and 6" high. IS that too puny? Should I do 8 x 8? For reference the mantle is 8 x 8.

I generally like beams that are wider that tall.

2. I was going to order box beam bc they will be lighter from the same place that I ordered the mantle and open shelves in the kitchen. They will be made from salvaged hardwoods. Is this a big mistake? Should I go with solid beams?

3. The joists also run perpendicular to the fireplace. What if there is no joist where the beam is being installed? How do I support it?

4. I'm imagining a 2 -3 day project. Day 1 beam install. Day 2 drywall repair. Day 3 pain touch up. Am I delusional?

Here's the general style, scale that I'm envisioning ( although maybe not quite so rustic):

Traditional Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect McCoppin Studios

Thanks! Just trying to get some info before I speak to my contractor. I would love to pictures of 8x 6 or 8x8 beams is anyone has any.

Comments (3)