SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tryingtounderstand

Remodelling kitchen in a 1985 (post and beam) home. Beam questions.

tryingtounderstand
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all

We are just starting the process of remodelling our kitchen in a home we just purchased. I want to remov the dining room wall and to create an open concept. The house was built in 1985, and apparently it is post and beam construction. I will contact the city and hopefully they will have copies of the original plans.

We had a contractor visit the site, he suggested that we install a beam on the ceiling as it appears there has been movement in the roof, probably due to snow loads. (He admitted he doesn’t know anything about post and beam)

The span is 28’. The height is 16’

He indicated it would be Impossible to put up a steel beam, due to the weight of a steal beam and ceiling height . He said LVL beams only come in 24’ spans.

He suggested a metal beam could be installed from the outside, hence opening the roof.

But We have which metal roof.

So it seems the only solution is to put a post in the corner.

Sadly this defeats my whole purpose of wanting a nice open space for large gatherings. I don’t want a post in the middle of my room. I wish to remove the wall between the dining and kitchen.

Is it true that LVL beams only come I 24’ spans? Do we really need a beam, since the home is still standing after all these years.

House is in Canada

Here are pics of the space.

Comments (10)