SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Layout Feedback: design option 1

adh673
14 years ago

My last layout post (linked) didnt go anywhere so I'm starting anew! Here is where I am currently after meeting with 2 KDs :

From my first self-made layout, design option one makes the island smaller to increase aisles. The idea is to have cream glazed cabinets with a rustic knotty alder glazed island and "hutch". Here is the drawing of the first design. This one would be using Shiloh cabinets:

{{gwi:1822442}}

Some mods to/issues with this one:

1. I want the island to have some sort of slight curves on each side so that its not angular rectangular (which the room is) but I am having a hard time finding photos of symmetrical slightly arched granite islands. Am I losing my mind?

2. The corner cabinet is an issue. I had asked for an appliance garage, my DH hates this idea and wants a square angle corner upper with no appliance garage. He has a point in that we both hate our current corner cabinet (diagonal door) which is a dark nightmare of hundreds of jars of spices. But that leaves me without coverage for my heavy mixer, etc. And I cannot find any examples of kitchens where they have done this hard angle on the upper corner (piano hinge I think the KD said?). We are thinking of 13-14 inch uppers depending on if we go with overlays vs. insets and regular lowers. Advice?

3. Speaking of spice, I seem to be being roped into a sort of plain range hood provided by the cabinet maker with a little mantle on it to accommodate my narrow spice pull outs on either top side. I always envisioned an elaborate stone or wood hood so Im feeling a little plain jane about this development. Id probably do it in the darker wood if I did it with this, but will I regret a curved interesting mantle? Any other options for really great spice access without it? Do people with lower spice pull outs find that reasonable? To me it seems really low for practical use.

Just today I saw this on another post and I am liking the look- would this work in my area or are my sides of stove too small. {{gwi:1822443}}

{{gwi:1822444}}

4. The hutchthis item was also to be dark. I sort of wanted the look of it being stand-alone furniture, hence the different color, but my husband did not like this drawing. He wants the counter area clear so we can set up a bar area for parties. Normally it will be for kids stuff storage, paper/paints, puzzles, games etc and electronic charging station. Will it look dumb to have it a different color if its not somehow connected top and bottom- since I feel like that will make it very evident that its NOT a piece of furniture. I dont know what to do on this one. Im totally lost.

{{gwi:1822445}}

Here are some other drawing of the design. I think we decided on sort of chunky legs for the island on the four corners vs. corbels but that isnt reflected here.

{{gwi:1822446}}

{{gwi:1822447}}

{{gwi:1822448}}

The final thing is the cabinets. We saw this door style in the showroom and loved it. It turns out its the most ornate thing they offer which surprised me. I always felt those would be way overdone feeling but I really liked it. Here is the door style we saw:

{{gwi:1822450}}

BUT, I think now we are leaning towards inset and they said they could do similar in inset but Im not sure Im believing them. Because here is the most ornate inset. How close do you think these are, feeling wise?

{{gwi:1822451}}

{{gwi:1822452}}

{{gwi:1822453}}

Here is a link that might be useful: original layout thread

Comments (8)