SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Feedback on 1.5-Story Cape Layout

ILoveCookie
10 years ago

Husband and I are going to build a small 1.5-story cape, which hopefully will be our forever home. We don't have a large budget, so we are trying to use a stock plan, and modify it somewhat to suit our needs, without changing the foundation size/shape or anything major.

The cape we want to build has a 28' x 32' interior footprint. It has no dormers (this saves us $25K), and the livable area is about 1600 sqft. We will have a basement for entertainment and storage.

When trying to narrow down the stock plans, I got quite a bit of help from this forum and the Smaller Homes forum. I felt really grateful, and tried to incorporate everyone's suggestions into the layout I came up with (attached below).

Here is what the original stock plan looks like, before my modifications:
The Original Cape Plan

After my modifications:

The two smaller bedrooms upstairs are for two future kids. The "away room" on the 1st floor can be used as a bedroom if needed (e.g. when we are too old to go upstairs). We don't entertain much and usually don't have overnight guests, so there is no plan for a dedicated guest bedroom.

The garage will be detached (not in the layout). We will probably add a covered path between the garage and the front entry of the house.

Are there any serious problems with my layout? Am I missing anything important? What would you change if it were your home? I'd like to hear your opinions, and will keep tweaking it till it's almost perfect..

Some small concerns I do have:
-- The smallest bedroom (for one kid) is quite small;
-- There is not much storage in the front entry area;
-- There is no utility closet on the 1st floor;
-- While the powder room has a shower, there's not enough clearance for a wheelchair.

No one in our family is in a wheelchair...I am thinking of this because I read in several books that universal access is an important design consideration in a new build.

Thank you for reading!

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 23:33

Comments (52)