SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrtea1

Please critique my small 1.5 story island house plans

lil
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you might be willing to provide some feedback on the plan we've come up with for a simple 40x23' (12x7 metre) 1.5 story family home.

There are a few considerations/constraints that I should mention:

*We're on an island in the southern hemisphere - mild sub-tropical climate - temperatures range 80F (26C) - 50F (12C). It's still quite cold through winter so we want to have some passive solar properties (plus a fireplace), and summer can be quite warm/humid.
*We're on a strict budget, so we are trying to keep costs minimal
*Just two of us now, but we plan to add some kids over time, so we want to be able to expand the house to include a few more bedrooms (probably on the southern side)
*My father and I intend to build the house ourselves. Amongst other things dad is a builder and has built a few local homes - so the local materials will be familiar. I've got some basic carpentry skills.
*Building materials on offer is primarily local pine, which we intend to use for everything except interior cladding (Gyprock) and roofing (corrugated metal aka "Colourbond"). Concrete is available but very expensive, so to be used sparingly (footings). Weatherboard exterior.
*Wide (3') eaves to keep the rain off (50" annual rainfall) and provide passive solar effect.
*Not concerned about resale value of property, or getting a bank loan
*The house site is on a ridge with nice views to the North which we'd like to take advantage of.
*The home will form the nucleus of a couple-of-acre homestead. Hence we will both be using the kitchen a lot for preserving/cooking/etc, hence the large size and large pantry. A workshop/shed will also be added to the property later
*For simplicity/cost, and also because we plan to have a composting toilet, we only want one toilet and one shower in total.

Phew! Sorry for the long list!

Rough draft plans and sketch below. Any suggestions for improvement? Nothing is set in stone at the moment!

Comments (8)