SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Would Love Feedback on Layout for 1st floor expansion

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

So far I've only posted a few questions here about my desire for marble countertops so I figured I'd get down to the the actual Kitchen itself!

We have a Cape built in 1950. Attached shows the first floor presently and how we plan to expand. The Master Bedroom and a full bath is also on the first floor. (Upstairs are the 2 kids bedrooms and a playroom.) We are also going to finish our basement.

Our kitchen presently is 19x9.5 and our dining room is only 8.5' wide. We are adding 7 feet to the entire back of house on first floor. We would like a more open floor plan to make our smaller home more suitable for entertaining as well as everyday life really. At present we have to pull our kitchen table in and out for people to sit and it is also in the way of the back/side door.

I won't go into too much b/c you can see the plans attached. Nothing is set in stone yet - especially with the kitchen placement of things. We've moved some items around a few times. I'd welcome any suggestions or issues you may see! A couple of things:

*We've considered a 48" range but I'd really prefer a 36" with a dbl wall oven unless a better option comes up in planning.

*Not sure about refrigerator placement . We plan to do a built in with panels so from the dining area it wouldn't stick out so much (visually).

Question:

* The 12 foot pantry wall originally had a desk in the middle surrounded by the double ovens and pantry. I think we may not do a real desk (with space for chair) but a countertop that will be for my laptop, etc. and have a file drawer. I really need this space b/c there is no office or other place in the house for this "stuff". Also, this wall was planned as a FULL wall.

Yesterday we came up with the idea of the 4 foot HALF wall which would make it more open and allow two stools to tuck underneath. Also you can see TV from there. It also would act as my desk top for laptop. (On that note, was curious if there was a spot in the kitchen for a small TV)...

Do you think we should leave it a full wall which will give a little more closure to the kitchen or do you like it as a half wall. When you walk in our front door you are right in the living room so I sometimes wonder if I want to see so much kitchen. I'm really not sure!

It May be nice for socializing during parties being able to converse between the two rooms. I have been in houses where there are no interior walls and it doesn't bother me but I wonder if I'm in the kitchen doing homework or whatever with the kids if the separation is nice when someone else is watching TV in the LR.

DINING ROOM: the wall in the dining room has 16 feet of cabinetry. Two taller cabinets with a buffet in the middle with a window over the buffet. Probably a beverage fridge below. If this is too expensive (too much cabinetry) we may shrink that same configuration down . Our plans have a 3 foot wall being added next to cabinetry to define space between dining and LR, but now we think we don't really need that.

WINDOWS: The kitchen will have a 6 foot arch window over the sink. Also that side door to covered deck will be all glass. We wanted sliders there but think it may take too much space that we will need in that spot for cooktop or whatever. Dining Room has window seat window and a window over buffet. I wonder if the kitchen will have enough natural light? Was considering a skylight. Thoughts on that? Some have said they can be more trouble than they are worth with possible leaking.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Comments (22)