SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emgreenberg_gw

More coller tie information, please...

emgreenberg
17 years ago

Hello,

I live in a split level ranch, and would like to raise the 8' ceiling. I have read as much on the subject as I can, but need a little more info because of certain details that relate to my house.

The roof is a gable roof, 2x6 rafters, 16" O.C. The rafter length is 195" from roof plate to ridge. Currently, there are 2x6 ceiling joists (16" OC) that meet at the center point of the room, on a beam, and overlap slightly. The room itself is about 25' by 30'.

So...according to my reading, I could use coller ties 1/3 of the way up the rafter, measuring from the plate. That would put me at about 65" up the rafter. Unfortunetly, this would then call for 23' collar ties. First, I don't think I can find that length (easily, at least), and if I could, I suspect that a 23' span is too much for one piece. If that is the case, then here is my first question:

If I move the coller ties up the rafter about 12", I could use 20' long 2x10s to span the gap. Is this to much for a 2x10? Would they sag in the middle? Would a strongback prevent it?

If they did not sag, could I make up for the fact that they are now MORE then 1/3 of the way up the rafter by using hurricane straps everywhere, and also scissor ties? Meanign the ties that go at an angle from the rafter to the new collar ties.

If all that is good, Will my 2x6 rafters support the weight?

Sorry for the long post and questions - they have been building up as I pontificate this connundrum. And yes, I am familiar with the sage advice of seeking an engineer and permits, but I like to be armed with as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks!

Eric

Comments (11)