SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richardlyon33

"Issues" With Bathroom Remodel (And Contractor)

richardlyon33
9 years ago

I closed on a condo on Aug 27, but the the bathtub surround needed to be redone. (It was built in 1983) The enamel on steel tub was chipped so we just decided to do the whole thing, bathtub and surround. The way we decided to do it was the "good ol' boy" way. (I live in San Antonio, Tx) In other words, we asked the maintenance man at the condo complex if he "knew somebody" that did bathrooms and he did. I contacted the person that was recommended and we met at the condo complex and showed me a unit that he remodeled and that he had the key to; the owners of the unit were out-of-towners that use the condo for a retreat. He was trustworthy enough that he had a key, and further, the work he had performed was impeccable. As much reservation I had with doing something on a word and a handshake, I acquiesced to my parents, both out of respect and also because they were footing the bill. We thought that a shower conversion would be a great idea, and the guy said that he would do a fantastic tile shower and that a cast iron shower pan would be the best way to go. It would last forever he said. So, I went ahead and bought the shower pan ($750) the faucet and showerhead, while he bought the tile and demolished the bath. His fee was $1600 and asked for 1/2 up front. After the demo, he informed me that the water supply line was in front of the studs and would have to be moved back in order to convert the tub to a shower. He said he would charge an extra $120 for that. I noticed that there was water damage around the faucet area and he said that that was not a big deal. The morning of the install, he called to say that he couldn't complete the job; that the shower pan was too heavy for the subfloor which had water damage, and further that the drain on the cast iron shower pan was 4" while the drain for the tub was 1.5" so we couldn't do a shower. I was dismayed, but thought that maybe it was better to just leave the bathtub a bathtub. He really didn't want to transport the cast iron shower back to the big box store (the blue one); he acted like it was really a hassle for him and ultimately I had the delivery guys from the Blue Box load it into my car when they delivered a new dishwasher. Today the enamel on steel arrived and we're ready for the project to continue, but when I told him over the phone that I was "anxious for this to get done" he seemed to get defensive and said he was also anxious for this to be finished as well, and they he would start tonight. (he has another project he's working on during the day) About five minutes later he called to say that he would start tomorrow because he got the wrong size drain for the A/C condensate line that flows into the tub drain. I really wanted to fire him the day that he said he couldn't do the shower, and then when he was reluctant to carry the shower pan back to the store, and again when he got defensive with me, but my parents tell me to "be patient" and "keep your cool" because "you already paid him half" and it be "hard to find someone else". I'm at my wits end with this guy. We're in the home stretch, unless he calls and tells me that there is another problem, in which case I will fire him, regardless. I know from watching the HG channel that these things happen but I really think we made a big mistake in not getting anything in writing. I kind of answered my own question, but I would welcome any opinions. Feel free to be as candid as you want, I couldn't feel any worse right now.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida