SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyyanks_gw

Firing our contractor - long

jyyanks
17 years ago

We are doing a 2 story addition to our 1550 sq ft home. The addition is approx 500-600 sq ft and includes expanding the LR downstairs and adding 2 BR and a bath upstairs, re-roofing, re-siding, changing our heating system from steam to forced air and then adding Central A/C. We hired the guy who did our kitchen because we had a great experience with him, have recommended him to others who have also had great experiences with him, and because we trusted him. He also was giving us more for our $$. The project started mid-June. It took one month to get the foundation in. In Aug 7, our contractor asked us to move out, We knew it was coming but didn't realize it would happen so soon so my DH took a day off from work and moved by himself to my in-laws house.

We thought that since we moved out, work would progress. Instead, our contractor ended up doing no work for 2 weeks! I know he may have been finishing up other jobs, but why did he tell us to move out? Fast forward to almost 4 months later and framing still isn't done. October is here and our contractor still hasn't put up the beams to support the roof or even started ripping the old one down. Not to mention that the last couple of yimes its rained, the tarp was not up correctly which resulted in flooding and our DR ceiling collapsing. Also, he did not rent a dumpster so our front yard and the inside of the house is a disgrace, I'm not saying it has to be neat but I wonder how people work in that condition. He shows up about 3x/week but claims this is his only job.

My DH has lost all trust. He is questioning everything our contractor is doing and constantly flipping out. I, on the other hand, still thinks that he is ok and that it may be taking longer because he's being extra careful. Bottom line is that my DH is concerned that the house will not be sealed in time. He says that if we get an early frost, there's a possibility that our pipes might freeze and our house will be ruined.

DH wants to fire our contractor and hire someone else to finish the job. We paid $50K already on a $200K job.

Anyway, are we overreacting?

Comments (8)