SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

Pro advice needed: How to find a good contractor (long)

southofsa
7 years ago

I'm hoping the pros that frequent this board will offer advice on how or where to find a good contractor for a bathroom remodel.

My definition of good (because everyone has a different definition):

1) Someone who makes sure the work is done right preferably the first time, but if there's a mistake made he identifies it and gets it fixed.

2) Communicates- I don't need a minute by minute update, but if there's a delay or a change in the plan he lets me know. Text, message- whatever.

That's about it- I'm not looking for the cheapest or fastest. I'm looking for competence and someone who is comfortable working for and communicating with a female (when you live in South Texas that's not a given).

Just so you know where I'm coming from. We bought this 50 year old ranch style house on a concrete slab in 2003 and room by room have been remodeling/updating/fixing. We call it the Bubba house, because Bubba built it and built the addition. Some of the things we've uncovered are pretty scary, and we assume the worst whenever we start a new area (kitchen/DR/halls/LR done). Until the bathrooms we acted as GC's and hired people as needed - mostly electricians and plumbers. My BF is a custom woodworker and his shop is behind the house.

In 2013 we started a cosmetic update of BR1 (vanity replacement/paint/lighting). Then we found the mold in BR2 and started seriously talking about tackling the bathrooms. Interviewed 3 GC's and hired the one who seemed the most qualified (licensed, bonded, insured, NARI awards, 25+ years in the business). Since this post is already too long I won't go into the details, but it was a hot mess early on. He completed BR1 and started BR2 before we fired him. In hindsight we shouldn't have let it go on as long as we did. A lot of lessons learned.

I swore I wouldn't hire another GC (someone threatens to put a lien on your house it makes an impression), but a year later I'm still looking at a BR that's about 1/3 done (gutted, plumbing/electrical done, tub installed- no walls, no tile, no fixtures). The job I'm in now doesn't give me the time at home to hire, coordinate, and supervise subs. My BF is an amazing person, but beyond being at the house and building the vanity and trimming out the doors isn't interested in acting as GC.

Most people say ask your neighbors or friends for references. I don't know many that have had a similar scope of work done that I'm doing. The couple that have and have had good experiences have lived on the north side of the city and their GC's stick to that side of town. I'm 15 min south of the city where there's more cows than people. Geographically not that far away, but not the typical suburb where most people live.

Any advice? How do your customers find you?

Lisa

Comments (11)