SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

How to not get screwed on renovations?

molanic
9 years ago

My folks are long overdue for some exterior house work (siding, roof, gutters). The house was built in the 60s and the siding is mostly some kind of pressboard product. They bought the house in the mid 80's and had it repainted once in '92 so the siding is in pretty bad shape now with peeling paint, some rot, etc. They had plans to do vinyl for quite a while but big medical problems and life etc. got in the way.

The gutters and roof were done about 10 years ago after a big hail storm so at least insurance covered part of it, but the roofing work was kind of shoddy. Now we are looking into having it all done finally and trying to find a reputable contractor to do the work.

I have always watched a lot of shows like "This Old House" and "Holmes on Homes", and have been reading up on a lot of the options for these renovations. I also read Mike Holmes book which had a lot of info on finding a good contractor. It was a little depressing and validated what I kind of already knew. He said with contractors you have the good, the bad, and the ugly. The ugly are the real scammers who take your money and run but luckily they only make up 10%. The good are the 20% who have all the proper licenses, insurance, knowledge, skill, and trustworthiness. The remaining 70% are the bad who may have good intentions but just have no idea how to do things right. Ugggh.

He said finding a good one that you can work with should take at least as long as the actual project. That the good pros don't need to advertise or be in the yellow pages because they get so much work by word-of-mouth references. You need to talk to everyone to get names and interview about 20 and get quotes from no less than 5. They need portfolios and references that will talk to you and let you visit their homes to see the work firsthand.

You need to do searches on their corporation to make sure they didn't dissolve and reform under new name to avoid lawsuit payments. They need their own full-time employees because any sub-contractors used will require the same level of scrutiny. They should not be available to do your job anytime soon, because if they aren't booked ahead of time they are no good. They should always have all their work permitted and inspected gladly. They should never ask for more than 10% down (max $2,500) because real pros don't need your money to get supplies to start a project. Then he said you should also educate yourself enough to know exactly what you want done, supplies needed, cost, and how long it should take. Then be there throughout the process to make sure it all gets done right. It all sounds like really good advice, but how many people can/will do all that?

The whole references thing always throws me because we have found people that way before and had issues with them. Everybody's standards are different. Then all the online review type things seem quite easy to fudge. Some people have no idea how to leave a helpful review. Don't know much about the unbiased nature of Angie's List and Home Advisor. Yelp is open to anyone I think and I saw quite a few one star reviews for nothing more than not getting a return phone call about work, which seems spiteful and unhelpful. A few contractor websites linked to GuildQuality which seems like some kind of survey service. Most of those reviews were one sentence about great service and overwhelmingly positive. But I guess if the contractor is providing the list of customers to survey they aren't going to include the ones that are pissed off!

We only talked to one company so far and were not impressed. If you try to educate yourself about the work and ask specifics often they poo-poo you and say it isn't done that way. He also talked about what we could "get-away" with doing without a permit or with a permit for different types of work because, "they never check what the permit is for just that it is in the window." Sigh.
So, does anyone have any other tips for those of us less experienced in not get screwed?

I plan to do another post with some pictures another day regarding specific issues with siding and roofing since there seems to be some disagreement in the right way to do things even in the books I'm reading on the subject.

Comments (9)