SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

What is the responsibility of skylight replacer?

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

We're having a rather mind-boggling problem with our roofer now. I'd like to get other folks' read on it, if possible.

The roofer who replaced our two fixed skylights with manual moveable ones took the skylights off, measured the outside of one curb, and ordered skylights with those outside dimensions for both. We decided to close one hole (I posted about that problem--they fixed it) and open another skylight instead on the other side of the roof.

Turns out that 1) the holes and skylights were slightly different, not exactly the same, and 2) he didn't notice that the curbs had been built oddly and were too wide to accomodate a moveable skylight that could make the screen fit inside the rafters without modification.

So when his men came to install them, they saw that the skylights wouldn't fit in such a way as to be properly functional, they put it over the one remaining curb anyway, and built the other curb to be too big for the rafters. They didn't tell us at any point that the skylights wouldn't fit, nor did the roofer notice or think to confirm (maximum curb width is clearly in the installation directions) when he had the curbs open.

So we have non functional opening skylights that we can't take the screens off of.

He's saying that since they don't "do anything with the insides", that they aren't responsible for any problems with the size. We say that the curb is *outside*, up on the roof, and it is indeed something that a reasonable professional would have checked and informed us of, and then rebuilt the curbs to fit and taken the measurements off those. He is essentially arguing that he fully planned to deceive us and give us nonfunctional skylights. He didn't want to communicate with us that there might be problems, he just said "we don't do the insides--you have to finish them yourselves or have someone do it", by which I think I was reasonable to assume that he meant he didn't finish the insides, yes? Not that he'd make something the wrong size that wouldn't fit between the rafters, intentionally not tell us about it at any point, and leave us to discover that we had a HUGE, pretty intractable problem.

Wasn't it his responsibility to communicate to us that the original curbs were too wide to fit a moveable skylight and even, dare I say, offer a solution? Rather than proceed and quietly stick us with something he knew wouldn't work, with a smile on his face?

He's trying to make us pay for replacements, and he'll do the labor "for free" (I'm guessing the labor includes building the right size curb on the roof). The skylight maker is coming over to our house sometime in the next few days and we'll be deciding then. Any thoughts/ideas/tactics etc. would be most welcome. TIA.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor