SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_vv

best way to do bathroom wired for ipod / music?

michael_vv
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are starting a main bathroom remodel. I have been thinking about how to play music in our bathroom... at first was thinking ipod dock mounted inset into the wall, but that doesn't seem a good solution since presumably the technology goes out of date quickly (relative to bathroom's life).

Here are our needs - I would welcome any suggestions about what path we should head down...

1. Control the music from within the bathroom

2. Play music from ripped collection (one of: directly from a computer, or via a device such as ipod)

3. Be versatile enough to outlive all the current consumer electronics I own

4. Ideally would work with roku sound bridge or ipod dock (I have both right now)

5. Work with ceiling mounted speakers

I'm thinking we should have the speaker wire from ceiling speakers come down into the cabinet over the toilet. Have the contractor install a power outlet there to plug a device in. And then somehow connect speaker wire to some box that powers the speakers and has a mini plug for input. It seems like mini jack and power are likely to live on for years :) Then in the future someone could replace the electronics, and they wouldn't be far to get to for changing music, controlling via a remote, etc.

The cabinet is roughly 18" w x 6" d x 30"h (with three adjustable shelves).

Should I buy powered speakers or get some kind of converter?

Any recommendations on mid-priced speakers that are bathroom-steam-resistant?

What other options should I consider besides putting the electronics into a cabinet somewhere?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Comments (5)