SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW - 2010 Birthday Block Exchange

sandlapper_rose
14 years ago

In 2010, we have four groups participating in the Birthday Block Exchange: Carolina Lilies, Galaxy Stars, Patchwork Pines, and Best Friends. The list for Best Friends is being sent out today. (All four groups were named after a quilt block.)

I thought I should start a new thread for those who are signed up and may want to ask questions, share comments, offer suggestions, etc.

It seems to have worked well in the past, so I suggest that each group start a new thread for each month or each participant and then others in that group can add on and it keeps the messages together - for example, "March Blocks for Carolina Lilies - Sandlapper Rose." Then people know where to look to see what has been mailed or received.

However you post it, it is important to post. Most of us worry about whether your blocks make it to you... and we especially love to see pictures! If you need help with posting pictures, let me know.

If anyone has a problem or is not receiving his or her blocks, please let me know so I can check on it. I have found our quilters to be very reliable in the past, so you should have smooth sailing, but I am here to help so just send e-mail to me if there are any issues.

I think this is common sense stuff, but a 12" finished and a 12 1/2" unfinished block are the same size. The 12 1/2" unfinished block is listed that way because it has a 1/4 inch seam allowance on each side. It will finish up as a 12" block. Also, a few people have listed a preference for prewashed fabric so please take note of that. I always say if you have any doubt about the stability of the color in the fabric that you use, please prewash it to be on the safe side. No one wants her finished quilt to have the white background turn pink because reds were not prewashed.

Okay, so have fun!

I can't believe so many of you have made blocks for so much (or maybe all) of 2010 already. I can assure you, I never get more than one month ahead. I can't help but admire your organization and especially your enthusiasm. We will see some lovely blocks this year. What great choices everyone made and thank you for joining in and I especially appreciate how cooperative everyone has been while I gathered the information that was needed.

Jeanne

Comments (13)