SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raineygirl_gw

too much of a gap between stove and countertop

raineygirl
15 years ago

I had my whole kitchen remodeled except for the appliances. When the granite countertop was installed, there was a larger than before gap between the stove and countertop on both sides. When I addressed this to GC, I didn't get a reasonable answer except that the cut out needs to be large enough for stoves to be pulled out, etc. I asked why my old countertops met right up to the stove and didn't get a very good answer if I got one at all. I know that the standard size for the stove cut out is 30" so why didn't the GC or the granite guy go by that guideline? After looking at the space, I'm not very happy with it. The granite company came out to re-check it and said that basically, they install the granite 'flush' with the cabinets so I'm assumming that the problem lies with the GC as far as the cabinets being installed. Does this problem happen often and what and how is it resolved? I did not get any type of discount or compensation at all. There are some other issues I have with the quality of workmanship but this one is the worst. It would be a lot of work for the granite people to take one side out and backsplash and cut a new piece. Then, I wonder if they could make it worse or even mess up my cabinets in the process? I don't know what to do in this case. Any suggestions??

Comments (20)