SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrycw

First big remodel job - kitchen - and having a nervous breakdown!

terrycw
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm not new here per se - I've read the gardening pages for quite some time.

My hubby decided to do something nice for me and 3 weeks after I had my second major surgery in a year and a half, he ripped my kitchen down to studs! My house was built in 1900, the kitchen was last updated around 1960. We had ripped and stain linoleum, stained and chipped formica with a backsplash with a chrome edge, the stove was butted against the wall that leads to the basement stairs, the cabs were old pine board with 0 design to them (and old handle holes someone tried to patch up). I only had about 5 usable feet of counter space, and only two cabs for food, with one door for large pots, lids on a rack on the wall, pans on a rack, and the rest of my spices and staples in an old Seller cabinet we refinished. I used a rolling 1980's microwave cart for the microwave, glass baking dishes, and plastic wear storage.

The kitchen is about 10 X 11 and has two doorways that break it up. One window, centered on the outside wall, and a corner that is the chimney stack which was cemented over and the wallpapered!

So here's where we are - we're poor folks compared to alot (I was one of the lucky ones - I worked in the WTC on the 91st floor, lost my job, but have my life - so I'm not complaining) - so we're doing alot ourselves and trying to save a penny here and there.

Did the demo ourselves. Re-studded where needed as the old 100 year old studs were not true and ready for new sheetrock. Hired a plumber to come in and cap lines for now, they moved the old supply lines for the second floor that ran on the outside of the exterior wall to the inside of an interior wall, and moved my gas line to across the kitchen to get the stove off the corner.

Electrician came in and wired for the stove and a over-range microwave, new ceiling lights (all I ever had was a center fan/light combo that didn't light the room very well), new outlets, isolated the fridge circut, new wiring for new GD, DW and hot water dispenser. Also put in three way dimmers, and wiring for under cab lights, and two boxes for lights over window/sink.

We bought a floating floor in a really nice tavertine look alike pattern from Home Depot and will install that over the 1/2 sub floor we put down.

Cabinet were purchased at a local place - sort of a builder's warehouse place - and got a great price on all solid wood, upgraded hardware cabinets + granite couter top install, and heavy duty stainless steel (14 gauge) double sink all for $3700.

The cabinets comes in on Saturday.

I've been walking around with a picture of them and a piece of the countertop trying to match things. Ugh!

We bought a fan from Lowes that is simply a stem with a revolving fan - very cool looking and we need it since it is a small kitchen and we do not have central air. But it only came in antiqued bronze. Ok, so the cabinets are "cinnamon spice" (www.avltrading.com), and the granite is a pretty black speckled brown/tan/gold kind of color. Antiqued bronze works - so I got lights in the finish. I'll get the Price Pfister faucet to match, and a new faucet for my hot water dispener in the that as well.

We're tiling the chimney in 2 X 2 sheets of tumbled marble.

My Kitchenaid stove is stainless, my mw is stainless, DW I'm getting (Electrolux) is stainless, the new fridge in a few months will be stainless - i think this will all still work well together - the mix of stainless and antiqued bronze since I've seen it in about four different remodelling mags - but what do I do with the backsplash? I was thinking, since I did all the taping and spackling last night and there are MANY spots that this kitchen is just not plumb - bead board. So what color do I paint it?

I am so overwhelmed.

If I knew how to post pics, I would show you what the cabs look like, and the granite and the lights...

*sigh*

I won't get thru this alive.

Comments (7)