SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Kitchen remodel planning... overwhelmed by first steps!

purrus
11 years ago

Hi GW!

I am starting to plan for a kitchen remodel that I hope will take place in July-August.

To begin, our house is a colonial built in 1964. I have some MCM furniture, but the house is overall quite traditional. Wood floors throughout.

The current kitchen is original except for the appliances which we've replaced as the originals died. They are all stainless steel. The cabinets and sink and original linoleum flooring are terrible, which is the main reason we are wanting to rip the whole thing out!

I am writing because, while I cannot wait to have a new kitchen, I don't even know where to start. I have contact a trusted contractor who has renovated a small half bath for us who I know also does kitchens, but other than that I don't know where to start. I am a busy professional with little time to devote to detailed planning on my own and my husband is NOT HANDY AT ALL (!!!). So, should my first step be to call a designer? Are the designers at places like Home Depot and IKEA any good?

I am thinking of using IKEA Adel cabinets. I love the Shaker look and have seen many very attractive pictures. Any thoughts on these or the overall trend of white cabinets? I don't think I want white countertops, but I'm not sure what I would choose.

We are also hoping to merge the existing small kitchen with the existing small dining room; they are separated by a non-load-bearing wall, so this seems doable. It will not mean moving plumbing, only a flexible gas line for the range. What I'm not sure about is how to arrange the kitchen using that new space. (Again, the thought is really intimidating to me!)

Other things I have been thinking about that I really want:
trash bin storage
a pantry
to get rid of the awful soffits!!!
storage for sheet pans, cookie sheets, etc
pull-out lower cab drawers for my Le Creuset collection and other big cooking implements
paper-towel holder that is out of sight
a place for the microwave that is off the counters
intelligent spice storage (I have tons)
an extra-deep sink (not sure whether to get single or double)
a dedicated coffee zone? This is just a thought, but I get SO tired of coffee crap in my prep area!

We do not have an unlimited budget, unfortunately, which is one reason why Ikea is attractive--that, and I've read glowing reviews of their cabs on this site and others. We have not set a dollar limit, but I'm hoping that Ikea cabs and already-purchased appliances will cut the cost down significantly and that I will be able to pay a contractor to customize with moldings, a nice sink and faucet, lighting, etc.

So, with all that said, I guess I am looking for advice on the first steps and whether all of you seasoned experts think that my list sounds reasonable! I will try to post a picture of the existing space tonight.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor