SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryfarm

Should we remodel the kitchen first?

14 years ago

Two years ago, we bought an all-brick, two-story Provincial that was built in 1978. The house is solid and very pretty on the outside; however, take one step in and that's where the pretty ends. Dark-stained trim and matching doors (which are solid wood), chipped tile floor in the foyer, original shag carpeting in the office and living room, old wallpaper, poor lighting, brown all-laminate kitchen, etc. The rooms are huge and there is a fantastic cathedral ceiling in the middle of the house. (Why did we buy this thing? It is located in one of the top school districts in the state, the neighborhood is great, and the lot is big and flat. Our area never had a housing bubble, so the price was good.)

We bought with the intentions of remodeling the entire thing over the period of a few years, hopefully taking less than 5 years. We completely gutted and remodeled the family room and both boys bedrooms. We have already replaced the back half of the windows and will be finishing the rest of the windows by the spring. Our next project was going to be putting hardwood in the foyer, office and living room, redoing the entire staircase, removing all wallpaper, painting and remodeling the powder room.

Problem? I HATE this kitchen and cannot wait for two more years to do it. I want to do it now, instead of the other project, but it will cost more. This kitchen has dark brown laminate cabinets, laminate butcher block countertops, blue and cream bird wallpaper and brown wood parquet floors. Aside from esthetics, it is borderline functional: the double oven, which is an old GE Spacemaker "cooking center", barely vents--the steam condenses on the vent/upper oven, and I have to continually wipe it or it water will fall back into the pots. Some of the drawers are off of the railings (we tried to correct, but unable to) and I have to put my knee up to hold them upon opening. The two bottom corner cabinets have horrible access and I can barely fit anything in the one; the other one has doors the open onto each other and I can literally only get one of my arms into it. The island is very small and has a real butcher block top, which is unsanitary and unpractical to me (with 2 small kids). I LOVE to cook and have hardly baked since moving here. I love to host and have holidays, but it is hard. Plus, the house we moved from, we had just put in granite countertops and a marble backsplash; my pantry was walk-in and could easily fit 3 people. No walk-in here, just a big cabinet that does not hold much.

Any advice on whether I should just bite the bullet and do the kitchen first? It will be pretty involved: we will be switching it with the dining room and moving over a wall. Also we have to remove soffitt from the upper cabs and redo the ceiling for the "new" dining room. But, my foyer, living room, office and stairs will still be ugly--and that's the first thing you see when you walk into the house. I just have so much disdain for this kitchen, and it is where I spend most of my time. Will my house look silly with a new kitchen and dining room, but old foyer and living room? We wanted to start from the front and work our way back, but it's gotten to the point where I am embarrassed to have people over, and I have no motivation to cook all due to the kitchen. Thanks for reading (I did not plan to make such a ridiculously long post).

Comments (12)