SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hammer81_gw

First-Timer....What Should We Do??? HELP!

hammer81
17 years ago

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing our first home; an 1876 remodeled colonial. It has a brand-new kitchen, new bathrooms, new appliances, new roof, electrical, plumbing, and furnance. It was priced at 229,900. but we have a signed contract with 218,500 and the seller pays $5000 in closing costs. Only thing is after the home inspection the inspector noted that the windows were HORRIBLE, missing hardware, unoperable, and in very bad condition. He also noted that when they replaced the beams in the basement, they did it with substandard materials. He suggested that both things be replaced within the first year. We've gotten some quotes and both repairs total over $10000. We asked the seller for half and they have stated they are giving absolutely no concessions. We should have figured that into the price. My husband and I have threatend to walk away, we've even looked at other houses. It just seems like for the money, there are many more pro's than con's. We need to make a final decision by tomorrow, closing is scheduled in a few weeks. What would you do???

Comments (11)