SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlyb123_gw

Did I just ruin our new tile job?

CarlyB123
12 years ago

Argh! In the middle of typing and suddenly bam! The thing is gone! No idea if it will show up here or if it's just gone for good...

We hired someone to install tile in our kitchen/dining room. He did a sort of okay job (I think... I don't know about these things... is it okay if the tops of the tiles are a bit uneven???) but when he grouted we ran into big problems. It dried very light, nearly white with a pinkish tone. It was supposed to be "camel" kind of a medium brown. Not to mention cracking and breaking out of the grout lines. He repaired, and it fixed it... sort of.

He also applied the grout to the tops of the tiles where it embedded itself into the pits and cracks. After trying several solutions (including grout stain) I decided to stain the top of the tile with wood stain. After sealing the grout I did so. It looks gorgeous! But also a bit... oily. I wiped off excess oil as I went. Have I ruined the tile? Will the oil eventually dry? Wish I could include a photo!! Couldn't find instructions for that... I did look for them but no luck.

Should I apply mineral spirits? I dont' have any... probably would have to wait a couple of days. Is that okay?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)