SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socal_dave

Adding Loft to Garage...need insulation help

socal_dave
16 years ago

I'm making plans to remodel my garage and one of the things we really want to get out of this is a storage loft. I plan to run 2x10 joists across the garage at the 8' level and then lay down 5/8" plywood as flooring for the loft with a dropdown attic ladder for access

One of the issues with the garage is that it gets very hot in the summer (Los Angeles) so I plan to put r30 batting between the roof joists and I have a few questions:

1) As this will be right up against the roof, do I need to worry about a vapor barrier? If I do need a vapor barrier, would it face the roof?

2) I saw a home remodel show on TV and one of the things they did was put batting in between the floor joists that were accessible through a crawl space. They used metal rods that were just a little longer than 16" so that they would be sprung between the joist to stay in place and hold the batting. Is this a good method to use...I can't find these rods at the local home improvement store

3) I'm not planning to insulate the walls. It never really gets cold enough here to be a bother when in the garage during the winter. I think that the vast majority of the heat coming in during the summer comes through the roof but is it a mistake not to insulate the walls?

By the way, as this loft will be effectively "cut off" from the puny little air vents near the ground on the outside wall, I plan to install a thermostat controlled vent fan and also a vent to allow "cool" air in.

Thanks for your input!

Comments (2)