SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

rubber roof repair torch-down type

14 years ago

I'm a handyman that typically doesn't deal with roofs (I usually say "you need a roofer", etc), but now I have to make an exception for a friend after dealing with too many dubious repairs and advice.

This is a 5 yr old leaking torch-down rubber roof on a one room addition, with only a slight pitch, and a leaky (minimal) HVAC vent penetration. This is after roofers have already done some patch repairs, and also tucked some flashing under the old roof/new roof overlap/step.

This week, the latest roofer to visit found the edge flashing is practically non-existent - wish somebody would have noticed that before. So some water is just getting under the edge, esp. near the gutter. I then inspected and found the flashing is what's usually found under the lip of a small shed roof, nothing more. Even better, I could pick up the rubber layer all around and see the sheathing, etc. It turns out that the felt and edging was minimally tacked down with a T-50 stapler, nothing more, and the roof just lays on top of the edge flashing with a 1" overlap. (This looks like a bs job.)

Anyway, the roofer says that flashing "can't really be added now", but I don't see why not since it's so easy to lift the rubber/felt sheet. I guess I'm going to do this myself, since we're at the point where I don't feel like learning the latest repair wasn't done right, and I don't think $1800 is necessary to redo a 5 yr old single room roof.

Does it sound like edge flashing can be effectively added on this roof, or am I missing something? I'm figuring on nailing it down first, then using roofing cement to glue down the edges. That about right? Thanks.

One more thing....can aluminum paint be applied on a rubber roof? This was done by the original builder, but the AC vent penetration patches were not yet coated with it.

Thanks much.

Comments (4)