SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Roofing bid questions

Peke
10 years ago

We have a 3500 sf single story house plus an attached garage with a second story. There are two layers of shingles. We got several estimates, but we have some questions.

One company will use a synthetic underlayment and the other company would use felt. Which is best?

Evidently we do not have enough ventilation in our attic. There are only 2 turbines on the main house and none on the second story. No wonder that room is hot. Both companies say I need 2 turbines on the upstairs roof and 6 or 7 on the main roof. But one company says a ridge vent on both would be best. Is a ridge vent better? Will it help with our crazy electric bill? ($383 June and $450 July) I keep the thermostat on 78 or 80. It is hot inside the house, but I am not going to have a $500.00 electric bill next month.

They will both use 30 year shingles. Does it matter which brand they use? One company will use Timberline. I don't know which brand the other company will use. Timberline has lifetime limited warranty for what it is worth and he will give a 3 year labor warranty. Don't know about other company yet.

Both are close in price, but one is putting in a ridge vent and synthetic underlayment, and his is the cheapest bid. They were very professional too. They are a pretty large company BBB approved and are in good standing with the state. The other is just one guy and he didn't show his roofing license.

Everything else is the usual....flashings, check decking, etc.

Is there anything I should ask about besides warranty and brand of shingles?

Am I being unreasonable if I ask them to not throw the nails everywhere? I know they have a magnet to roll, but it doesn't get them all. Plus I don't want any going in my pool, Polaris, or pool pump.

We worked so hard all summer cleaning up the yard and laying new sod for our daughter's outdoor wedding. We do not want to clean it again. Am I being unreasonable? I guess it would slow them down if they had to keep up with bad nails.

Please offer any advice you have. Thanks, Peke

Comments (13)