SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

got bids for new roof....either shingle or metal..need to add ins

14 years ago

I got 2 bids today for a new roof:

current roof is in cedar shake/60 degree slope on front, 45 on back

The front(60 degree slope/south facing/northern Wyoming)

The roof is a high cathedral- the thickness/space is about 6 inches, and has bluboard, and about 2 1/2 inches of insulation, which is not nearly enough- it goes to 20-30 degrees below zero in the winter frequently

We have high winds- 60-70mph frequent in winter

This will be done with a grant from Independent Living, a community assistance for disabled people, so my funding will be VERY limited.

I am trying to figure out how to get more insulation in the roof. There is no 'access' to the steep pitched roof because there is no attic.

I have heard from one contractor that he would need to put exterior cross 2x4 so there will be a place to put insulation. He would use 30/felt.

The second contractor just plain didn't know what to do- he said he only did 'roofing', 'not insulation'. He would use Certainteed, Titanium in place of 30/felt. Also, he wants to put a drip edge on- this is a cedar house, and there isn't any 'soffit'- the edges of the roof is a 6 inch thick solid piece of cedar. Do I want to cover this up? There is no damage at all to it- it is part of 'the house'.

Both want to use 'water/ice' at the chimney ares(2), and at the skylites only- not the whole roof. Both want to use commercial grade asphalt shingles.

Another person whom I know USED to work construction- at that time, it was legal to put a metal roof directly over 2" styrofoam insulation- you used 2 1/2 " nails. Is this still allowed?

It seems that it might be the only way to get more insulation from the outside.

What newer/cost conserving material do you reccomend?

We are so limited in the contractor's knowledge here.. neither even knew about closed cell spray....

I will call the county inspector to see what he has to say tomorrow.

Please- names of metal roof companies so I can see different pictures of different metal roofs.

Advice, please!

Comment (1)