SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lotsahouses

'white washing' ?? over DARK 1970s good quality wood paneling

lotsahouses
15 years ago

Hi, so glad to find this forum. Help! I guess you would call my husband and I 'gluttons for punishment', as over some time, we've restored an 1898 Queen Anne Victorian 3-story gingerbread home, redone a beautiful 1980's home (pretty structure but awful 'cosmetics'), and now are working on a 1971 roomy home on a big treed lot, the lot being the reason we bought the home. The room I'm thinking of has dark, dark paneling in the room the former owners used for a game room; we've used it as my husband's study but are about to turn it into a media room. The paneling is DARK, but it is that good, high quality dark walnut...I've really gone back and forth about what to do with it. The house has straight modern lines but really, with a few major changes, could look very '1910 Arts and Crafts/Edwardian', so my goal has been to add much wider baseboards, wider and 'crowned' window & door trims and eventually transform the whole house. The home's original 'bones' lend itself to that nicely...AND I have so many antique furnishing from our Victorian house days, that I needed to figure out a look in which my things can work. 1971 doesn't do it, and since the Edwardian Era followed the Victorian, I figure, why wouldn't that work for me now? Our lot is gorgeous, and houses can always be changed.

I've really debated about what to do: paint over the paneling, OR mud the seams and paint over it, OR take it down and dry-wall then texturize it, and more...BUT knowing it's quality, I'm now thinking of 'white washing' or 'glazing' it with some type of colored wood-stain/or light glaze that would let the pretty quality of the wood come through, yet give us a lighter look. I'd LOVE to know if anyone knows of a good product to use/ or knows how to do this or has seen this done. PICTURES WOULD BE SUPER if anybody has any! It's dreadfully dark in that room. The room is also our main computer/office room, so even though the dark paneling could come in handy for watching movies (once it's a media room), it is drearily dark for any other purpose. Any feedback or ideas are WELCOMED! My dilemma now is, since we're shooting for that Arts/Crafts 1910 look, which the bones of the house can well adapt to...1970's paneling doesn't do the trick.

Comments (15)