SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Off Means Off!

secsteve
12 years ago

Need to vent here a bit about what happened last night while attending a performance of Follies at the Kennedy Center.

Why is it some people can't seem to understand that Off means Off when asked to turn off cell phones at the theater?

A great production of Follies at the Kennedy Center last night was almost ruined thanks to the inconsiderate young lady next to me. At least twice she'd open her oversized purse and glanced at her cell phone. Every time she'd open it, the light was bright enough to be distracting. I glanced at her after the second incident to let her know she was being distracting. The final straw came during the number "Who's That Woman" when it made a very audible bzzzz and she HAD to see who it was! This is a great number but was spoiled by the light, as well as the bzzzing, spilling from her purse while she read the message.

This was the next to the last number, so at the intermission, I politely leaned over and told her she had been instructed to turn off the phone, that it was not only rude to those of us around her, but to the actors as well. Her response? "Well, it was only a couple of messages and you shouldn't get so upset". I then reiterated the policy and told her I expected her to turn it off. She left her seat in an obvious huff. I then went and spoke to the usher about the incident who was amazed someone would ignore the announcement. The usher asked me to identify where I was sitting and she'd keep on eye out and if I had the problem again, she'd be watching my area and she'd speak to the young lady since I had all ready spoken to her.

I believe that since she got her ticket from a friend, she really didn't care nor appreciate the fact that many of us paid good money for this show.

I can't believe how irresponsible some people are in this situation. I'd say young people, but I've had this experience with people my own age as well.

I really don't believe any message is that important that you have to keep your phone on during a performance and if it is, then excuse yourself and leave the theater.

Comments (37)

• heather_on
    12 years ago

Vent away, I aagree with you. Doctors and police/firechiefs should be exempt from this policy but only emergency personnel should have their cell phones on.

• joann23456
    12 years ago

So agree! At a theater performance or a movie, where the lights are low, the light from a cell phone is especially annoying.

I do think that many people think it's sufficient to just turn off the ringer, and don't think about the light. I think that the messages at the beginning of a performance should specifically mention sound *and* light from a cell phone.

• Related Discussions

What does it mean to 'harden' them off to the sun?

Q

Comments (2)
    When you take plants outside that have been inside, you want to move them gradually into full sun. Taking them directly from inside to your full-sun spot will severely damage, if not outright kill them. I always move them to my front porch, where they get only east sun, for 7-10 days. Or I put them under a tree in dappled shade for that amount of time.
    ...See More

Squash - I mean sharks - off Cape Cod and South Coast MA-RI

Q

Comments (10)
    Anybody tuning in to "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel this week? National Geographic is counter-programming with some shark specials of its own--all very interesting. I am too chicken about rip currents and the like to swim out beyond the breakers, and great whites don't come up onto the beaches:-). I was surprised to learn that they are much commoner (and the incidence of shark/human "interaction is much higher) off the coast of Northern California. Our big shark scare here wouldn't get a bit of attention there, I'll bet.
    ...See More

What does hardening off plants mean?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hardening off the plants is really just to get them used to the immense change going from Fluorescent lights to the intense light of the Sun. If you take a plant raised inside and put it directly out in the sun, you can literally watch the leaves wilt. It might be a surprise seeing how short of a time it takes to completely ruin the plant. We're talking minutes, not hours. I spend about 10 days to acclimate them to the morning sun. I don't give them any direct sunlight until it's been 5-7 days. I always plan it so that I can watch them very carefully the first 5 days. I typically start on Wednesday. I want to be able to keep them outside when I'm home from work that weekend. I have not kept good records of my hardening off scheme. I just make sure to peek at them frequently to make sure they're ok. At the same time, I want to get them used to the life outside as fast as I can. This should be pretty close to my hardening off schedule: * day 1: 1 hour before sundown (in shadow) * day 2 : 2 hours before the sundown (in shadow) * day 3: 3 hours before sundown (in shadow) * day 4: Saturday: Getting more aggressive. Keeping them in the shadow during the day. Plants are outside most of the day. I make sure to watch them pretty carefully since the intensity of daylight even in shadow is many times more powerful than the indoor lights. * day 5: Sunday: Shadow most of the day, start introducing evening sun. Checking plants frequently. * day 6-7: Monday-tuesday: Taking them out in the sun after coming home from work. Outside in shadow when I'm at work. * day 8-9: increasing the exposure to day-light sun. * day 10: Plants are able to tolerate morning sun as well as daylight sun. Putting the plants where they'll life the rest of the summer. I am sure that there's going to be various opinions on what's best and how fast. But in the end, the only important factor is to ensure the plants safety so they don't experience months of setback, or in worst case dies. The more time you can spend with them during this time, the better. I am pretty sure that the ones with the most plants in this forum, will take a week off their regular work to ensure the hardening off is done right.
    ...See More

what happened? primer running off/streaking off wall!

Q

Comments (15)
    Mamabird, that's quite a story regarding the paint that didn't adhere to your kitchen wall. Without doubt, grease/grime was the culprit. For what it's worth, I use a micro-sponge to clean my walls and ceilings in preparation for painting. It's shocking how much invisible dirt comes off on the sponge! After that, I wash walls and ceiling with Soilax, an old time product known to facilitate paint adhesion. The Soilax label claims that one washing is sufficient for excellent paint adhesion, but I seldom wash the walls/ceiling less than three times. This might sound like overkill, but it works.
    ...See More
  • pammyfay
    12 years ago

I second that!

OH! But maybe she is a Navy SEAL and was waiting for word to go on an urgent mission! Maybe she is a world-class surgeon waiting for a 4-organ transplant to get the green light! Or maybe she is a special Bloomingdale's customer waiting for the alert that those $400 shoes are FINALLY on sale but for 1 hour only!

But seriously. Happened to me not at the KenCen (where ticket prices obviously don't come cheap and truly going there is a special experience! I'm glad you contacted an usher), but at a movie theater.

That bright light from the cell the young woman next to me had distracted me several times. I, too, politely told her it was distracting, hoping she'd turn it off. Instead she gave me attitude. We exchanged further words when the movie ended and the lights came up.

Some people are just so glued to their phones. Are these people SO important? No, they just think they are.

It annoys me that they have no idea that they ruin the shows for other people -- including the performers in a live show. Just the first time the gal next to me opened her phone was enough to ruin my evening -- because then my mind starts fuming about it and I can't get back in the happy-movie feeling.

Venues of live performances need to ban cells altogether.

• User
    12 years ago

That is ignorant. My phone goes off, and I mean I turn the power off, not just the sound at: the doctors office, dentist, movies, work. It stays in my pants pocket or purse when I'm driving. That way if it does ring, I'm never tempted to see who it is while I'm driving. If it's in my pants pocket, it's impossible to remove with my seat belt on while I'm driving too.

I am never on my cell phone at work if someone else is standing in ear shot. There are a few people who sit in the lunch room and not only have a LOUD conversation on their phone, it's not in English making the rest of us very uncomfortable. I was raised that you never use a phone when others are present. It's rude. And we never speak another language when others are present. It's rude.

Okay, your vent has turned into my vent. You can vent about that too. LOL

But yeah, I would've been very angry too.

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

It seems to happen at weddings and funerals too-unreal the disrespect.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Reading all these responses makes me feel a whole lot better.

I got upset with myself for letting her get to me enough so that I had a hard time finishing the first act.

Joann23456, yes it perhaps is a good idea to change the statement to saying something like "Make sure phones etc. are completely off".

It can also interfere with some of the electronic equipment they use, and some live theaters make mention of that.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I agree 100% and the attitude they give when you politely ask them to adhere to the rules is disgusting.

The one place I absolutely HATE hearing someone on a cell phone is in a Bathroom! You have no idea the person is on a cell phone and think they are speaking to you, then when you try to answer back they ignore you but go on to tell the person on the phone that some idiot in the next stall thinks they are the ones being addressed, well NO the idiot is the one that thinks it is in any way OK to speak to anyone while sitting on a toilet! That is the last place I want to hear what is going on! I can not imagine the person they called could be very delighted to hear the "bathroom" convo either.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

I would have been really angry, and probably would have said something the first time it happened. That is so inconsiderate.

Do you live in the DC area? I'm about 60 miles west of DC.

• chisue
    12 years ago

secsteve -- You did the right thing by notifying an usher at intermission without adding to the disruption. (I am picturing myself grabbing her darn phone and sitting on it -- and the commotion THAT would cause!)

The cell phone abuse is an illustration of a society where people have not learned how to behave IN society. They are isolated by the very technology that supposedly 'connects'. They haven't learned *empathy* for a 'community of strangers'. Perhaps it's so intimidating that they need constant tech-assurance to feel 'real'.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Rude~

I hate when they do that at the movie theater.

• donna_loomis
    12 years ago

You have every reason to be angry and you did the right thing. Manners seem to have become a thing of the past. Even in church, before beginning the sermon, our pastor has to remind the congregation to turn off/switch to vibrate cell phones. He jokes that if someone doesn't comply and their cell phone rings that they will owe him a pizza. And still, nearly every Sunday at least one will ring during the sermon. When it does, he will call out, "I like pepperoni" or "Cool, pizza for lunch!", etc.

• froggy2bug
    12 years ago

donna loomis, I was going to reply about church, yes no matter how many signs are posted to please turn off cell phones, they still go off. Then the person gets so agitated that their phone went off, it embarrasses them and they never get up and leave and take the call. I don't know how I have lived my 68 years without a blasted cell phone, but I did just fine. Give me back the good old days.

Linda~

• susan_on
    12 years ago

This PSA from a Texas movie theatre made me chuckle. Warning... there is bad language:

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't text in our theatre...

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Here most of the farmers and contractors have it on vibration. Not sure of the lights, because it is daytime. But I think many of them take phone calls during lunch that could wait. (at lunch in the small cafe) It is disturbing to others.

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

When I am volunteering at the information desk at our hospital, I am appalled at the families of patients who will stand in the lobby and talk loudly on their cells about the patient, calling the patient by name and revealing ever detail of the patient's illness or injury or surgery to a friend or family member. Step outside for goodness sake or step into a private area.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wanda va, no I live in Dover, DE but make the trek to the DC area and Northern Virginia about 5 times a year. We're season subscribers to Signature theater and do the Kennedy Center for special occasions like the upcoming production of Wicked.

Chisue, believe me, I was ready to smack her purse shut when she pulled that stunt. I figured if it happened in the second act, the usher was close enough by that she'd have made sure it was off.

I too have overheard those "bathroom" conversations and usually leave shaking my head. I can't imagine anything more gross then listening to the sounds in the men's room.

• pplantlady
    12 years ago

I agree with all above. What the heck is wrong with people? The people in the public restrooms really disturb me though and when I hear that .... I start FLUSHING....hoping that if they have any sense or shame....they'll take it outside! Sometimes it works....sometimes not. Ticks me off.

• hale_bopp
    12 years ago

That makes me so angry too! What a rude person.

When we go out to dinner or entertainment, I make sure that my phone is off, not even on buzz, but I do occasionally check my phone if my kids are being babysat by someone. But my phone is set to dim, not bright and I do it discreetly.

Blessings,
    Haley

• cynic
    12 years ago

Just another example of the selfish, self-centered, "I'm so important" society of spoiled brats that are so common these days. They get a phone they don't need with "unlimited" service and take it as a challenge. I'm happy to tell you people, you ain't that important. But then again, they grew up with people having screaming kids in the same situation whose parents didn't care so they feel uncompelled to make someone else's life more enjoyable.

A gal I knew used to say to people like that "are you waiting for a transplant or something?" and of course they always said "no" to which she'd reply, "do you *want* to be expecting one? Keep it up".

Frankly, I usually find that the surgeons, emergency personnel and the like are far more considerate of others. They use vibrate mode and go away from a crowd when there's something going on.

The kicker to me was a friend of my sister saw a woman mowing her lawn. Pushing the mower around and stopping every few feet, and text. Then a few more feet, and another. Seriously people, that's an addiction.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I agree about the self centered little brats who are glued to their phones. One sat beside me in the theatre last night but he did turn it off when the movie started. The bright lights and buzzing were starting to annoy me and today there are no ushers to report people to. There were two people working..... the ticket seller and the ticket taker. So who do you complain to? I cannot imagine how I got to my age living most of my life w/o a cell phone. They have their place and come in handy to report an accident or check up on your kids but this senseless texting in inappropriate places is nuts. Call me an old crank.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

I had to remind my 76 year old mother about cell phone manners last week.
    I returned her call and she told me she was at Red Lobster with A. She proceeds to ask me a couple questions and just chat. Finally I said "Are you at your table, eating?" She said "Yes." I reminded her that even though A is your good friend, it is rude to her and those around you to talk on your phone....call me back later.

• chisue
    12 years ago

In limp defense...there are too many dumb 'rules' about *everything* (many generated by company legal departments). People stop reading these and can get used to dismissing all rules.

Example: "Do not touch lawnmower blade while machine is engaged."

• juellie1962
    12 years ago

We had that happen at the Trans Siberian Orchestra! Talk about disruptive! It's a light show for Pete's sake! Looking back, I wish I would've said something to the foolish person, but I never did. How rude!

• joann23456
    12 years ago

I don't see anyone as being entitled or self-centered or bratty, just thoughtless. It's just a habit to pick up their cell phones, and they're not thinking that it will annoy people.

That's why I said what I said about the lights. I never hear anyone on a cell phone in the movie theater. (Well, maybe during the previews, but not during the movie.) But I do see people checking their cell phones and annoying me with the lights because they're just not thinking.

Personally, I understand. I'm a constant cell phone checker myself. And no, I'm not waiting for an organ transplant - I'm seeing what play my Words with Friends or Chess with Friends opponents just made, or maybe checking to see if anyone replied to my Facebook post or seeing if anyone's been tweeting about the traffic jam on the way to the mall. Nothing important, but also not entitled or bratty.

And I even checked my phone in a movie ... once. That's when I realized that the light could be seen everywhere, and stopped. It's still a temptation, though.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Joanne--You're very brave and sweet to admit to this; I think many of us check our phones without even realizing it. And I think you hit the nail on the head--it's a "thoughtless" act in certain situations, meaning almost an unconscious move. My dh often checks his phone in a restaurant (nothing fancy,) while waiting for our order until I give him a look, and a kid was texting before Mass yesterday behind me. I'd bet more than 50 percent of kids see nothing wrong with that!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I don't buy the "just forgot to turn it off" or the "just thoughtless" crap.

People who continually check their cellphones are really just self-absorbed. Someone may have called ME! Someone may have made a play on MY game! Someone may have texted ME! Someone may have responded to MY post on MY Facebook page - responding to ME! If I turn it off no one will be able to reach ME!

Yeah, so good for you. You're important. Unconscious move? Goodness - start thinking! There are actual people around you.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

My friend told me she was on Jury duty last week and before the court proceedings began they told everyone to turn their cell phones off.

She said they were about one hour into the testamony when the entire courtroom was interrupted by a ringing cell phone. She said the Judge screamed at the balif, "Balif bring that individual up here right now!"
    The Balif located the culprit and brought her forward to stand before the judge,
    She said the judge then asked the lady her name, and she replied.
    The judge then addresser her by name and said I find you guilty of comtempt of court and sentence you to 15 days in jail. Perhaps by the time you get out you will realize that you really can get through a morning without that phone.

• joann23456
    12 years ago

Yeah, but I'll bet the judge actually just let her sit in custody for an hour and then purged the contempt. They like to do that kind of stuff.

Just an opinion from little miss self-absorbed me.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Mary , I totally agree. Shut the phone off and actually make contact with a real person near you.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just finished reading an article on this subject in this morning's Wilmington News Journal. One comment that caught my attention was the fact that people go to the movies to be distracted from everyday life, but once there, are prevented from doing so by the phone users. One person even said that if she finds the movie boring she checks her email to amuse herself.!

Why bother going? Don't people checkout what the movie is about before going?

For me though, it's worse during a live theater performance. I can't image anything worse then being up on stage and seeing glowing lights coming from the audience. It has to make the performers wonder if they aren't doing a good job. Having been on stage at one time, you try not to let anything distract you when performing, but it does happen.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

Actually I understand exactly what you all are saying but...I also don't understand the need to talk on the phone regardless of where you are or what you are doing. I've seen people crossing the street so absent mindlessly because they are talking on the phone...in the checkout lines...getting their shopping done....How stupid that one can't have some time off from the phone or has to have a stupid phone stuck to their ear. And have you noticed, anytime some one is talking on the cell phone, they are talking so loud that everyone around them has to hear the conversation........Stupid and ignorant. I swore I would never have a cell phone because so many people look and act like idiots but my DH wouldn't let me drive after chemo unless I carried one. It's in my purse and even he knows that I won't answer it.....it's only in case I have an emergency and it's not even turned on until them.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

They usually are talking louder on their cells than if they were talking to a person beside them. Sometimes it's a ..'look at me' thing going on but it's annoying. In the grocery store they block aisles saying...honey do we need this and that. Try making a list and have some respect for others. That said I have had a cell phone since 1997 although I rarely use it.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Sorry joanne23456, your post makes you sound compulsive. (You don't say where or when you are 'phone checking', so we'll hope it is in private.) You are completely correct, though: Much cell-addiction is 'thoughtless'...as in RUDE. Observing it makes me 'think less' of the person doing it, too.

I have to agree entirely with mary_c that this all about "me", but I wonder if there isn't some underlying insecurity factor. Why must someone be constantly 'in touch' (having her hand held?) or is this a means of opting out of any social encounter in real time?

I'd hate to think that I'll never again have a little chat with a real person in line at the grocery checkout counter beause she's: a) too shy, or b) afraid of talking to a stranger!

• joann23456
    12 years ago

That's okay, Sue, you don't know me and maybe my post does sound that way. In reality, I'm neither insecure, antisocial, nor self-centered. I don't avoid social interactions in the least - I'm the one waving to babies in the grocery line. And my cell phone checking doesn't seem to affect my social life, because all my friends are doing it, too. It's not that we sit around together staring at our cell phones, of course, but I would say that at least once in any hour, someone pulls out a phone to check something. And we're not kids - we're all middle-aged.

I never stand around and talk loudly on the phone. (Actually, I rarely talk on the phone - I use it for other things.) I do text, play games, check the internet, and read books, often in public. Before cell phones, I always carried a book or a magazine for those times when I found myself waiting. Why is this different?

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

When the small light intermittently flahing's in the shrubbery or tall grass near the garage ...

... it's a lightning bug (and I saw a couple, the other evening).

When in a theatre, especially live, but a movie, as well ...

... it's a lightning bugger.

Plus some other places and situations.

ole joyful

• lazypup
    12 years ago

WOW, I saw the solution today.....LOL

Jan and I stopped for lunch at a small truckstop near here. We were quietly sitting in a booth near the windows and enjoying out meal when we heard a phone ring. Immediately the woman in the both behind me nearly shouts out a boistrous hello and begins chatting on her phone in a loud squeaky voice that seemed to grab the attention of everyone in the room.

A large burly truck driver walked over to her both and speaking rather loud he says,,,"Never mind the guy on the phone baby, c'mon and have another drink with us".

Immediately the gal hung up the phone and shouts at the guy, "Are you nuts? I was talking to my husband."

The driver then said,,,,"Oh, did I get your attention? Listen lady, I came here to enjoy my lunch, not listen to some bimbo yaking on the phone about her love life, maybe next time you wanna make a call you will take it outside!"

• wildchild
    12 years ago

Love the story Lazypup. A standing ovation to that guy. Actually I know guys like that. Gotta love 'em. LOL

I don't mind someone checking their phone once. But when I'm watching a movie in a dark theater I expect that phone to stay in their pocket. Laser pointers can deter the behavior too. Just zap it right onto the screen of the offending phone. The green ones work best I've been told.