SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

Well, we have stuck it out with our GC and we're in the house

karen_belle
13 years ago

The last time I posted was mid-July and our contractor couldn't seem to get the plumber here. They finally coughed up a plumber (man + teen daughter, no joke) and got most of the fixtures installed. We had a hiccup with the guest lav, moved into the house anyway, went on our pre-planned vacation, ordered a replacement sink and toilet by phone, and came home 2 weeks later to a mostly functioning house. Unfortunately, that didn't include a gas connection, so we have been living for a week with no hot water, cook stove or laundry.

The project manager's "customer is last" attitude continues to baffle me. After asking repeatedly how to get the gas turned on, the city permit office was finally the one to tell me I could get a temp permit while we wait for the final inspections to be complete (a side-light window is not yet in, so no structural inspection until that's done). I told the project manager to apply for the temp permit, so he did that Wednesday afternoon. Gas got connected today (Friday morning) so we can finally use all of our appliances.

The GC sent a message that we had reached "substantial completion." Well! DH and I are not there yet. We lack fully operational lighting, sidelights, baseboard trim in the master bath, repaired tile in the kids' bath. I'm really disappointed that the GC called for his completion payment at this point....just adding another disappointment to the list of things they could have done better.

Three months ago we happily recommended this company to friends. No way am I going to do that now.

But we are settling into the house and getting to learn all the things we like and those we don't. So far the general feeling is really, really good.

Happy weekend!

Comments (3)