SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ozziepuppy_gw

Question about baseboard color

ozziepuppy
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have "natural" oak cabinets, doors, baseboard, stair railing, fireplace mantel, kitchen island, etc. We are going to replace our living room carpet and kitchen sheet vinyl with wood-look flooring (not real wood). From what I have read, it is best not to try to "match" woods when installing a new wood-look floor--you should either go lighter or darker. Given that the wood currently in place is fairly light, we have decided to go darker. Right now we have several samples lying around on the floor to try to finalize a selection. However, one thing I have noticed is that when a sample is next to a light oak baseboard it does not look right to me. Should we plan to leave the baseboards the same color as the rest of the wood in the house, or should we re-do the baseboards so that they are compatible with the new floor? The flooring does not have matching baseboards available, but I am sure that we could get some unfinished baseboards and then stain them so that they match the "fake wood" of the floor? If anyone has done this--either way--it would be great to see pictures. Thank you very much for your advice and experience. :)

Marci

Comments (3)