SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778555

Advice from locksmiths or door lock pros, please

User
10 years ago

I'd love some advice from any locksmiths or door lock professionals here, please.

I went to my local locksmith with the following list of Emtek door hardware needing to be installed in the house we just purchased:

(3) Emtek egg-shaped knob/#8 rosette/PVD finish keysets (single cylinder)

(3) matching Emtek passage sets

(1) matching Emtek privacy set

The locksmith quoted me a price of $140 each for the keysets and $120 each for the passage and privacy sets.

Last night I priced the Emtek sets at homehardware4less.com and got prices of $99.72 for the keysets and $58.28 for the passage and privacy sets. Big difference! So I asked the locksmith to break down his quote into cost of materials + cost of labor because I would be able to get the Emteks myself for those prices online.

His response was that if I did it that way I "would not have the warranty". I said "but my warranty is with Emtek if there is a problem". He said that if I buy the hardware AND the installation from him, if there is ever a problem or warranty issue they would not charge me to come and remove the defective hardware and reinstall its replacement from Emtek; but if they install hardware that I have bought elsewhere, they would charge me for those service calls even thought it would be an Emtek-warranty issue.

So in essence if I bought everything from him I'd be paying $40 (over my online price) to install each keyset, and $62 to install each passage and privacy set (which sounds illogical, because I assume installing a keyset would be more work!)... but in the event of a problem with any of them down the road, I would have "insurance" against having to pay for the removal and replacement of that unit.

Of course, unlike a home or car insurance company there is the question of whether they will still be in business ten, fifteen, or twenty years from now -- if they're not around, I'd end up paying a different locksmith for a service call anyway! So the "future-problems insurance" only applies if this particular locksmith is still around if/when an issue arises.

I can't help wondering what is likely to "go wrong" with a good quality door hardware like Emtek anyway. The finish is lifetime and so if that ever was a problem I would deal with Emtek directly via phone, email and photos... so I imagine no problem there. These aren't wireless units or anything fancy. In more than 35 years of various home ownerships, and with door hardware ranging from bargain-basement Kwikset to ridiculously priced Period Brass and everythign in between, I have never had a mechanical failure in any of them. (knock wood!!)

I mean really, what are the odds? And in your opinions, are the quoted materials-and-installs numbers fair or not (given the materials being used and the likelihood of future issues)? I am especially confuddled about the difference in "labor" pricing between installing the passage/privacy and keylock sets...

Thanks!

Comments (8)