SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alanwolf

Question about messed up steel apt. door / locks...

alanwolf
3 years ago

I apologize in advance for the length of this post!

Hi. I live in NYC and the front door to my apt. is an old (30+ years) steel one, 1.75" actual thickness. A few years ago I installed an electronic Schlage lock, which I like fine. But I really made a mess of the door (83" x 35"). See attached trio of photos. The previous mechanical lockset was large and heavy and I discarded it.

Anyway, where I am now is: A door that works, but... to lock the door when leaving, I have to pull on that kludged up cable so as to hold the door against the door frame till the trigger the Schlage. Exiting or entering the apt. from the inside, I have to twist the knob on the Schlage while pushing or pulling the door from the frame. I threw in that wood piece that holds the cable to prevent neighbors from looking into my apt.

I vaguely recall that the large door thickness was an issue for some reason when I attempted to add a regular doorknob so the door will lock when simply pulled shut.

It's been 2 or 3 years and the girlfriend is tired of this temporary kludge. Particularly the inability to exit the apt. using one hand (when she is carrying things).

It seems to me I have two possibilities (keeping in mind that I'll be moving out of NYC soon, and will sell the apt. -- it must look good for sale):

1) Get a new door and start from scratch. I can do this, but it's expensive, and the outside of the door is a green color that no one on the Coop board remembers. The board will give me cr*p if I don't manage to paint it a matching color. Neighbors seem to have installed all sorts of locks on existing doors. No one has replaced their door.

2) Keep the door, have a locksmith fix up this disaster, but I've looked around for featureless plates that might cover all these holes on the outside, and I haven't found anything large enough. I can't sell the apt. if this looks too crappy.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

p.s. I generally do my own repairs -- electrical, sheetrock, etc. This door project was not my finest hour. If you wish to make some jokes at my expense, I'm up for it.

Comment (1)