SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nctrnl

Tenant builds 'apt. within apt' to thwart snooping landlord.

nctrnl
16 years ago

Yesterday i was talking with a coworker about my landlord & he mentions that his friend resorted to building an apartment within an apartment to keep his snooping landlord from going thru his things while he was away.

He recounted the story to me. His friend had signed a 5 year lease for a very nice apartment in a great neighborhood , but discovered that his landlord was snooping in his apartment while he was gone. He consulted an attorney that dealt with landlord/tenant law that said that in Missouri ... you basically have no rights if a landlord wants to come into you apartment & snoop around. He even confronted the landlord who then said that he could come in to "inspect" the apartment anytime he wanted. He was quite indignant about it all.... even the snooping through the tenant's things.

So what this guy did was he bought several large backyard shed kits (you know... the type people keep lawn mowers & other yard equipment in) & put them together inside his apartment. One for each room (except kitchen & bathroom). He modified them so that they were a bit taller & had windows etc. etc.. He then put a padlock on each one & locked them when he went out of the apartment. So basically it looks like a big box in each room.

I said that I wanted to see it for myself, but the guy is supposed to be writing up a big story about it to showcase/shame (the landlord) on the internet when his lease comes close to being up & that he didnt want anyone talking pics of it & posting them on the net.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus