SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

OT: Landlords, normal wear/tear?

palimpsest
10 years ago

Tenants recently vacated a house I own and we moved in.

I need to return the security deposit, here are the issues.

Large holes (twelve dime sized one tennis ball sized in one room, several dime to quarter sized in another room) where TV brackets were put up and torn out.

Tennis ball sized hole behind front door where one tenant kicked in the front door after another had chained it and gone to sleep (passed out).

Broken globe on fan/light in one bedroom.

The carpet was filthy and there are black stains that did not come out with steam cleaning.

They also drew all over the basement walls with chalk including some R rated comments and drawings.

When they moved in they requested this same carpet (new, then) be replaced because they didn't like the color.

We painted their bedrooms the colors of their choice.

In terms of maintenance they took down all the smoke detectors because the batteries were dead--and threw them away I think, and most lightbulbs were burnt out. All drains were almost completely clogged.

We would have changed batteries and treated the drains had they been brought to our attention.

From their end of things, a leak occurred in the roof when they lived there (addressed immediately but it ruined their coffee maker). Also a rat got into the basement because there was a major problem in the neighborhood due to a large excavation/demolition and sewer work (we also addressed this right away with an exterminator).

I don't think they were bad tenants, but they were not great tenants. The police were called on several occasions because of parties including one where people climbed on the roof. (Found this out later from neighbors). The roofer suspects that the roof leak was their fault, there was a plastic beer cup in the downspout).

These were three 24 year old girls.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!