SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

i might actually get to do my kitchen this time...(shhhhh) long

mjsee
12 years ago

Long time forum folk may remember me. I have been planning the re-do of this kitchen since we bought this house in 1997. Everytime I pull the money together Something Happens. (Last time-2004-it was a major retaining wall that started to fail.)

Well...shhhh...it may actually happen this time. It's going to be a budget reno (the cars are 11 and 15 years old, respectively) but I think I've got 25K, with a 5K emergency fund.

SO--what with budget constraints...I'm seriously considering leaving the 1966 soffits where they are. I know, I know...resale...but they are open to the attic...and ceiling repair is 'spensive. Plus...extra demo and cabinet costs. (I WILL NOT have cabinets that stop. They either go to the 8 ft. ceiling or I leave the soffits. Dust. Grease. Bleargh.) Plus--soffits are appropriate to the house...and I'm getting old. I'm not going to be using that space.

I'm thinking maple cabs (probably with a mid-tone stain?) and, in a perfect world, marmoleum flooring. Solid-surface corian or corian-like counters. White appliances. (What can I say? I like white appliances. And magnets on my refirgerator.) Mid-century modern-but with a 21st c twist...if that makes sense?

I'm talking to a design/build firm that does Gepetto and Bridgewood cabinets. Owner seems to totally get what I want...is cool with my budget constraints, and he's the first contractor who seems to understand. I shall be here often, I'm sure.

I guess this is a quick "hello" and "remember ME?" When I have firmer plans/questions/etc I will be in here begging for input and bouncing ideas off folk.

melanie (waves to palimpsist, brickeye, and sweeby)

Comments (10)