SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparksals

FINALLY! An Offer!

sparksals
16 years ago

Whew! It's been a tough 3 months with firing our first realtor and getting the new team of realtors two months ago. Four price drops, next to no showings, extreme stress, frustration and tireless worry, we finally got a solid offer today.

I was getting ready to shower prior to leaving for the OH. The phone rang, it was a realtor wanting to show. I told him about the OH and to come over anytime, I would be out in about half an hour. Wouldn't you know, not 10 minutes later, another realtor calls wanting to show it in about 10 minutes. Geee, after months of ZERO showings, we get two in a matter of 10 minutes! lol

So, I leave and wait around the corner for my realtor to show for the OH. The people hadn't shown up yet and I was really miffed. I left and when I got back, she said the first call showed and they came back for a 2nd look about 20 minutes later. As she was picking up, her phone rang, it was the realtor indicating they would be putting in an offer which was faxed to them a couple hours later.

We're really quite pleased with it and the only thing we need to negotiate is the closing date as it's too soon. Although, if it's a deal breaker, we will make it work. Here are the details:

List Price $229K

Offer $220K

No closing costs

She doesn't even want the fridge or W/D. Sweet.

$100K DP, $2K Earnest money.

Home inspection

AHS warranty - requested premium plan which we already have.

Closing Dec. 4

All in all, good solid offer since she has strong financing and a large DP.

Realtor coming over tomorrow to sign. We need to get a longer closing because with the inspection period, I need time to go up to Minneapolis to find a house. We're going to ask if they can try to get the inspection done and signed off asap so I can make that trip prior to the Thxgiving weekend, if at all possible because my husband is coming home from the Academy for the holiday. I'm not making any trip until all contingencies are lifted.

Hopefully, since we will agree to everything she requested, she will be flexible with the closing date to give me the time I need to go up there so I'm not homeless.

What a huge weight off my shoulders and in good time too. The stress has been a problem for me and has caused me some health problems. My Blood pressure has been elevated, I've never had high BP ever, so I'm now on BP meds. I have been having chronic headaches, and I've never been one to have them before, so I"m having an MRI of the brain and an Opthamology appt this week to make sure it's nothing serious.

The doc thinks it's my BP giving me the headaches. I certainly hope that's the case.

All in all, we're tickled pink and I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Comments (27)

• triciae
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh sparksal, I'm so pleased for you. It's been a long time coming, hasn't it? The offer sound really clean and with a strong buyer too. I'm hoping backing up the closing just a few weeks won't be a problem...I doubt it will be. People are pretty understanding around the Holidays.

I hope you can get those medical problem to settle down also. Having the house sold and together with DH soon will be a great Holiday present. Now, to find a new home...put that's the fun part! Maybe, patty_cakes is spreading some good vibes around the Forum?

Good luck with the MRI & opthamology appt this week. And, please keep us posted on the house hunt.

Wishing you very good luck.

/tricia

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Triciae. It's been a very stressful three months and I don't think it would have been as bad if my husband was here to share the burden of all this.

I hope the med probs settle down too and that they are all stress related.

It definitely sounds like a strong offer, one that we definitely want to work!

• Related Discussions

N 92 Nanjing

Q

Comments (9)
    Good for you, Jeri! I have one of my own that's been in the ground for some time but is growing very slowly. It's one that I probably should have potted up for a while. Still, it seems healthy and I'm looking forward to flowers next year, since I've been pinching them off at this point. The flowers and leaves so far are small, and the flowers that I missed pinching are not yet shapely, but I think this is one rose that is going to be a prolific bloomer. Ingrid
    ...See More

Question for Realtors - Final Offer

Q

Comments (18)
    Since you just went through the process of selling your home, I would try to put the shoe on the other foot. How would you feel if someone put in an offer, you countered, and then they lowered their original offer? I would probably not want to deal with that buyer/renter anymore, but that's just me. I would be careful not to get so stuck up on a small amount of money if this is the best available place for you and your husband. How would you feel if they just said they were no longer interested in renting to you at any price? Would you be very upset to lose the home or would you move on easily?
    ...See More

Bank Owned Question

Q

Comments (14)
    "My sister recently bought a REO property. They accepted the offer within a couple days. Then, they took MONTHS to close." The banks also like to put clauses in the contacts allowing them to back out if they decide at almost any point up to the closing table. I have seen them shop accepted contracts for months hoping for something better to come along while stringing along the buyer they 'accepted.' Do not sign a bank contract without an attorney going over it.
    ...See More

Our "new" 900 sq ft craftsman

Q

Comments (30)
    Check the roof and the plumbing! It looks like someone had grand plans and something happened. I'd live in it a while and figure out what need doing. Popcorn ceilings are EASY to get rid of. Don't panic at the doom-mongers and the asbestos. The wetting process takes care of the dust issue, and then you bundle it up in the plastic that's protecting the floors. If the kitchen is post-1980, so is the popcorn, and they required asbestos-free stuff starting in 1979. Check the building permits and ask the neighbors to see when the addition was made. Ah .. it's been painted over. Still not a problem: use one of the spiky wallpaper removal rollers to puncture the paint layer, and wet it with warm water that has a bit of detergent in it. You will wet the popcorn, it expands and the whole layer weakens and can be scraped off.
    ...See More
  • patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I KNEW that fairy dust would work!! ;o)

I'm SOOOOOO happy for you! It was the same for me~three showings in a three day period. I KNOW the stress and hopefully that's what the headaches are related to. Anyway, sounds like a real sweet deal, and i'm sure everything is going to work out.

Hope everything goes well with the MRI. One of my DD was on an antidepressant that caused HB. She switched to another and was fine. She also can't take ANY brand of birth control pill as it causes her BP to skyrocket. If you're on either drug, talk to your doc. Poor thing,it runs in the family and she'll eventually have it. Both her Father and I have it, even though i've always been very thin. My doc says it's genetics, and you can't fight that. All my grandparents had HB, and there were no drugs back then.

Take care Sparkals, and try to relax now!

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Patty... you must have sent fairy dust my way!! Thanks!

I think the HB is due to taking advil for my osteoarthritis. I had no idea that it contributed to HBP. I haven't taken any since I've taken the meds because they say that it can counteract them, so I'm seeing if the meds help and then will have to find another med.

Not on AD's, but was in the past, many years ago. No HB side effects there.

I think it's just the stress. At least I hope it is! An MRI of the brain is certainly a scary proposition because I'm afraid they will find something. *sigh*

• fairygirl43
    16 years ago

Congratulations sparksals! I am so happy for you! I've been wondering how things were going. Seems that buyers are finally coming out of the woodwork! And patty_cake's fairy dust is always a good thing.

The stress can be overwhelming. I'm an eater when I stress so I definitely put on a few pounds during the process. Have been walking every day and following the Dr. Oz live longer strategy (I normally don't buy the stuff from Oprah but this guy makes a lot of sense).

I had an MRI a few years ago because I started having horrible headaches and I typically don't get those (MRI was normal and at least proved that I have a brain - LOL). Some were so painful that I thought I was having an aneurysm. What we discovered (and this is a Tucson thing) was that after you live in Tucson for a while, you can get weather system headaches. So especially during the summer/monsoon season, or whenever a storm system would come through, I'd get killer headaches. The relief was combining a decongestant and some ibuprofen. Worked like a charm (I had several Tucson friends who developed the same headaches). I don't think either of those meds would conflict with your HBP but always good to check with a doctor on that.

You can always rent for a little while in the TC until you know exactly where you'd like to live. We did that when we moved back to Tucson in 1998. We rented a townhouse for 2 years until we found the perfect house. It's a pain to move twice, but might save you some stress in the long run. And it would give you a quick closing. And in this market, I'm all for quick closings! Another option would be to rent back for a couple of weeks so you could close on the 4th but be out by the 18th.

• acey
    16 years ago

You know, that the Fairy Dust from Patty is certainly, no doubt, and very generously ON A ROLL! When it's convenient, check out my latest post at Acey's "Is it OK if I Tell you About my Mom's condo for Sale" posting. Gotta believe that Fairy Dust is literally sprinkling itself EVERYWHERE!!!

And great news Sparksals! Now get good care and treatment so you can get on lovin' life!!!

Acey!

• tauphidelt
    16 years ago

Yay you! I'm so pleased for you! Not just an offer but a GOOD one, no less!!

patty_cakes, blow some over this way, please.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Best wishes and congratulations, sparksals :-)

• devorah
    16 years ago

great news on your house, but as to the headache I think a likely cause is clenching and perhaps grinding your teeth at night. Have you seen a dentist? If not, it seems like a MRI is a bit early in the game.

• novahomesick
    16 years ago

Sparksals - What excellent news! Congratulations. Selling a home is like having some alien force take over your life. Now, that you have a solid offer, I'll bet your blood pressure drops and the headaches abate. Good luck.

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fairygirl - Thanks for the info about the weather systems. I get very stiff in monsoon season because of my osteoarthritis and I can tell when a storm is coming or the weather changing. In Jan/Feb I'm usually more sore than normal because of the difference in barometric pressure.

We're going to counter back with closing of Dec. 12. Hopefully she will accept that since we accepted all her other requests.

acey - I saw your post about your mom's condo selling and my jaw fell down to the floor. You sold in a matter of days, right? Lucky you! Where are you?

tauph - Yes, it was a very good offer. I was really worried we'd get one from people who wanted to steal the house from under us. WE lucked out big time.

Xamsx - thanks so much!

devorah - As a matter of fact, I do grind my teeth at night and have for many years. I was surprised when my dentist told me that I do. He made me a mouth guard, but I threw it out of my mouth in my sleep.

AS for being too early in the game for an MRI, I respectfully disagree. My husband's cousin started suffering from headaches out of the blue and it turned out he had a brain tumour. Because he went to the doc right away, they were able to get everything without any chemo, radiation, etc. Had he waited, he most likely would have developed a far more serious tumour that would not have been removable. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I very much appreciate that my doctor took the bull by the horns to check it out considering I typically never have headaches except for occasionally once or twice a year where I take Tylenol. A radical change in something like that is something I feel should be checked out early.

novahomesick - I hope that's the case with my BP and headaches. It's amazing how the body reacts to stress.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

I am so happy for you!!! I am also hoping that Pattycakes fairy dust comes by way of the rest of us. Pattcakes can you huff and puff?

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since patty has responded yet.. I will hufffff and pufffff.....

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I forgot to say congrats!

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

To ALL who have a home on the market*****************
    here's some Fairy dust! ;o)

• dlynn2
    16 years ago

Congrats on the house.

Just want to clarify a few things --- decongestants can cause an increase in blood pressure and should not be used by people with hypertension without contacting your doctor and monitoring the BP more closely. Also, I agree with you that it is not too early for the MRI. I have brain tumors and would have had a much better outcome with an earlier detection. Definitely err on the side of caution, and hopefully it will be a clear MRI.

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rose - Yes, I've been watching the Minneapolis market for over a year since DH was notified he was accepted to the new agency.

It has been extremely stressful for me. Heck, I didn't suffer all these maladies when dh was in Iraq for a year and I was majorly stressed then! I think it would have been much easier if he was here and I've already told him this is the LAST time I will be left to do all this. I had to do the move from Flagstaff to Tucson, although the timing was better and the market more in our favour.

I saw the opthamologist yesterday and she said my eyes are good and sees no problems that would cause me headaches. The MRI is this evening at 6:30 PM. Strange time, but I guess they keep them going 24/7.

When something is so unusual, I prefer to get it checked out. Just like with monthly exams, I'm sure most women would immediately contact a doctor if she found a lump. I also don't understand how one can make an assumption that my health choices are too early in the game. I know my body and when something is completely out of the ordinary for me, I will take whatever precautions to check it out. thanks for your kind support, Rose.

dlynn - I haven't taken any decongestants in almost a year since I had a cold/flu last feb. However, it's great to know for the future if I get a cold and need them. I would never have made the connection. I've never been on long term meds before (except for AD's several years ago), so all this is new to me and I've been able to take pretty much any kind of med without any ill effect.

The joys of aging, eh? lol

• dlynn2
    16 years ago

I mentioned the decongestants because someone on here recommended you try that to stop your headaches and they also indicated that they didn't think they would be a problem with high blood pressure. I'm a pharmacist and noticed right away that it was incorrect info that you were being given and I just wanted to make sure you didn't follow that advice. Please let us know how the MRI turns out. I thought about you today. My next one is in about 6 weeks.

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really appreciate that info, dlynn, as well as you taking the time to explain how decongestants can be dangerous for those on BP meds. Thank you so much.

The MRI was freaky. They asked if I was clausterphobic when I made the appt. I said no. The guy conducting it was very nice and reassuring. He got me set up on the bed and then gave me the ER button to push if I couldn't stand it. I wasn't worried about the procedure, but of course, if they found something.

So, it moves into the machine and I was ok for a few minutes. Then, I felt like I had trouble breathing. It was really a tight, closed space. Luckily there was a window where I could see him in the control room and my feet in the two way mirror. I was in there for about 20 minutes and it made all these noises. It wasn't anything I expected. I thought I'd have electrodes on my head, lights would be flashing etc.

I've been in tanning beds before with no problem and never felt clausterphobic, but then, I knew I could lift up the lid if I could get out.

I made it through without pushing the ER button, but I do have to say it was one of the freakiest experiences of my life. At least I was able to calm myself down and I didn't panic, but I sure felt like getting out of there!

Good luck with your next MRI!

I'm wondering if one of the causes of my increased BP (in addition to stress) is because I was taking advil frequently for the last several months for my osteoarthritis stiffness. I haven't taken any since I've been on the BP meds, but now I'm at a loss as to what I can take since Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory.

• devorah
    16 years ago

I meant no offense by saying an MRI was "early in the game". I failed to notice that this was something you wanted to do and not something that was being imposed on you by your doctor. I am tired of my doctors always starting with the most alarming possibilities before considering simpler ones. I have had MRIs, CAT scans, X rays etc. all over my body for various aches and pains that mostly turned out to be connective tissue issues related to my fibromyalgia.

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Personally, I think my doc was right on the money by sending me for an MRI. Sudden chronic headaches when one never had them before should be cause for alarm and investigation. I would much rather have the overly cautious doctor than one that took their sweet time to figure out what's going on. By then, if it's something serious, it may be too late.

The doctor suggested the MRI and I agreed. I was happy she was being thorough.

However, after having an MRI, I hope never to have one again.

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

UPDATE: The HI is on Saturday at 1:30. I was really worried because our realtor asked if we had some sort of plumbing pipes... polybutelaine.. or something like that. I'd never heard of them and when she told me what they were and the problems, I totally freaked out.

Luckily, I went back to the inspection we had on this house and it states copper. WHEW!

So, I don't think the buyer will find anything major. If they do, I will be extremely surprised.

I hope she responds quickly so that I can make plans to go up to the TC's to find a house. Thanksgiving in the middle of this makes us lose 5 days, but at least dh will be home and I can put him to work packing!!! hahahahah!

• acey
    16 years ago

Hi Sparksals,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! And if you ever need another MRI, ask them to send you to an "open" MRI...much less confining. Also, ask them to pump music of your choice (bring a relaxing CD)into the room.

We closed on Mom's condo yesterday morning, sweet and simple, she is in Florida.

I'm sending on the fairy dust!!!!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

It has been extremely stressful for me. Heck, I didn't suffer all these maladies when dh was in Iraq for a year and I was majorly stressed then! I think it would have been much easier if he was here and I've already told him this is the LAST time I will be left to do all this. I had to do the move from Flagstaff to Tucson, although the timing was better and the market more in our favour.

Who knows. You're a little older now. The market being bad is enough to stress anyone out. You wonder if you're even going to sell & with hubby gone, it's all that more stressful because you have to sell. You will get through this.

However, after having an MRI, I hope never to have one again.

I hear you on that! There's no way I can go in another closed MRI. I used to be fine but in 2006 I had one, it bothered me. I get them at least once a year for my back but for some reason I just can't do it any more.

I had a CAT scan yesterday. I had problems laying still for that, and if I have to have any more tests, will have to be knocked out. Thankfully, it only lasted a few minutes unlike the MRI. Any longer & I couldn't stay still.

How long before you get the results?

UPDATE: The HI is on Saturday at 1:30.

Will be thinking good thoughts for you!

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

acey - thanks for the good wishes.

I didn't know there was an open MRI. I will definitely remember that.

Realtor told me that the report I sent her didn't prove that we don't have those polywhatever pipes. DANG! I have left a folder of all the major improvements we have done to the house since we've owned it. Hopefully she will go through it and see that we have spent alot of money and she's getting a great deal on our financial sweat. If we have the poly pipes, hopefully that will be enough for her to continue with the deal.

Rose - Who knows. You're a little older now. The market being bad is enough to stress anyone out. You wonder if you're even going to sell & with hubby gone, it's all that more stressful because you have to sell. You will get through this.

Amazing what a couple years can do to you, eh? I moved into this house myself on my 40th birthday. I wasn't a happy camper then and I was having a major pity party being by myself on a milestone birthday in a new city and not knowing a soul.

We had so much more time when he went to the BP Academy and if the Flag house didn't sell b/c of a different market, at least Flag is close enough to Tucson that we could visit e/o on days off. Minneapolis to Tucson is a different story.

I hear you on that! There's no way I can go in another closed MRI. I used to be fine but in 2006 I had one, it bothered me. I get them at least once a year for my back but for some reason I just can't do it any more.

I didn't know I was clausterphobic. I don't think it's a real case of that phobia, but it certainly bothered me. The difficulty breathing was VERY disconcerting and I had to really calm myself down in order to get through it.

I had a CAT scan yesterday. I had problems laying still for that, and if I have to have any more tests, will have to be knocked out. Thankfully, it only lasted a few minutes unlike the MRI. Any longer & I couldn't stay still.

The guy told me after the MRI that he almost yelled at me to stop moving my feet, but he said that there weren't any alarm bells on his end notifying him that the movement was affecting the test.

I don't know how long the results will take. I do have a follow up appt with my GP on Dec. 4th. It sucks moving at this time and I will have to find a new doc up there to manage all this.

Oh, did I also mention the varicose veins??? Geeez! I'm falling to bits! I had a leg ultrasound the same day as the eye appt and thankfully, no clots, but there was a leaky vein/valve in my right thigh which could be causing the throbbing below my knees. I have an appt on Wed with the doc to go over those results. Again, poor timing.

How's your house sale going with the new realtor?

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Aw sparkals, i've never had to have one of those darn things, but every one I have talked to who has, says the same thing~brings out the claustrophobia. I don't think it can be helped unless you take a valium or something that really relaxes you. My ex had to have one and the open type was used~he said he didn't get that closed-in feeling. I sure hope you get to the bottome of this! I have a few of those varicosities also, but they've never given me a problem. Just one of those 'genetic defects'.

About those pipes~I only had one realtor ask that question. The next day she called to let me know that I was okay as the whole complex had been re-done with copper several years ago. I guess that would be one of those disclosure things if you had poly, and the new buyer could ask you to re-placed them. How long have you been in the house/how old is the house? I don't know what the story is behind the whole thing, but if a builder put them in past a certain year, you could bring a lawsuit against him for replacement. We had to do that in our last house, and it was a whole tract of houses. Maybe you can get online and do some reading.

Meanwhile, hope everything *else* is going well!LOL I leave for NC to spend Thankgiving with my son who I haven't seen in over a year, and two grands. I'm very excited and need a little vacation. ;o)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Thankfully, you aren't totally alone this time, you have us. If you feel the need to vent, my email is on my member page.

Amazing what a couple years can do to you, eh? I moved into this house myself on my 40th birthday. I wasn't a happy camper then and I was having a major pity party being by myself on a milestone birthday in a new city and not knowing a soul.

Yes. Heck, I look back to 30 and realize what I can't do now at 42. I also know stress is totally different. I can usually keep it together (I'm like my dad) but when hubby got hurt a few weeks ago in another state, trust me, it was not easy not being able to get in the car and run to the hospital. I actually did fairly well until one of his 5 sisters called and told me what a bad wife I was :( The 2 hour drive (my son drove) there the next day was the longest ride I ever took.

40 is a big Bday, to have to move yourself and celebrate it alone, well I would have had a pity party too. We're allowed to do this lol

The guy told me after the MRI that he almost yelled at me to stop moving my feet, but he said that there weren't any alarm bells on his end notifying him that the movement was affecting the test.

I don't know how long the results will take. I do have a follow up appt with my GP on Dec. 4th. It sucks moving at this time and I will have to find a new doc up there to manage all this.

If there is something wrong they will call you. It usually takes 24 hours for them to read the MRI & send to the doctor. If it will make you feel better, call the doctor to see if the report is in. Explain to the nurse you are there alone, selling the house & this is stressing you out. If they have any empathy, they will get the doctor to call you. You can most likely go and pick a copy up at the MRI place & look it over yourself, googling the terms. Do you have RLS?

How's your house sale going with the new realtor?

We have to lower the price but don't want to do that right now since we couldn't close in 30 days if we wanted to. Hubby & I discussed it, we really don't want more then a 30 day close. Right now he has one doctor he hasn't seen (will be Weds before Thanksgiving) after his fall for follow up, then he has physical therapy on his right shoulder 3 times a week. He then needs a cap and filling on the teeth that broke plus a hearing test as his ears are still ringing after fracturing his cheeks / skull. The swelling is going down, we'll then see if he needs plastic surgery on his right cheek.

My daughter also needs PT for her back. Some kid threw her (on the ground) back in September, she has nerve & muscle damage; so we're going to be pretty busy for a few weeks.

Aw sparkals, i've never had to have one of those darn things, but every one I have talked to who has, says the same thing~brings out the claustrophobia. I don't think it can be helped unless you take a valium or something that really relaxes you. My ex had to have one and the open type was used~he said he didn't get that closed-in feeling. I sure hope you get to the bottome of this! I have a few of those varicosities also, but they've never given me a problem. Just one of those 'genetic defects'.

I think if we are stressed, sitting in the MRI listening to it make those Star Wars noises, it starts eating at you. I know I'm not taking any chances, even with Valium lol

Meanwhile, hope everything *else* is going well!LOL I leave for NC to spend Thankgiving with my son who I haven't seen in over a year, and two grands. I'm very excited and need a little vacation. ;o)

Enjoy! I can't wait until I have grandkids. How old are they?