SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seekingsun_gw

Creative "temporary" flooring idea???

seekingsun
10 years ago

We just bought a fixer upper! (Woohoo!/Dear god what have we gotten into...) It is a 1951 ranch in pretty good structural condition (we hope) and just needs updating. It is an estate and no one has lived there for 3 years. One of the first issues to address before we (and our toddler) move in is the icky, stinky, ugly pile carpet. We know we want to eventually do cork or a laminate but since we are doing a lot of construction, perhaps moving walls and changing the layout, it doesn't seem to make sense to install the nice flooring now. So do we buy cheap-o carpet and live with that for now? I hate carpet, and worry about the off gassing and smell...I have allergies and those things can bother me badly sometimes. I suggested seeing what shape the concrete was in under the existing carpet and perhaps just have exposed concrete for now. Hubby was not on board...

Do we go with the cheapest carpet available at Home Depot/big box flooring store as an interim measure? Is there another option we are missing or could consider? Any advice or suggestions welcome! TIA!

Comments (13)