SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clwguy

Temporary Backsplash Ideas That Look Nice

clwguy
14 years ago

My 2 year home renovations are being done according to a mandate dictated by budget and level of priority. By necessity this years budget has been set allocated to a new roof : (

Last year I installed all new hardwood floors stained dark walnut and this includes the kitchen and an above fridge cabinet (not shown on picture)

Though I wasn't planning to do any more kitchen renovations this year the faucet began to leak so I decided to replace it. (It was ugly so it was a welcome excuse). And, as things usually go, once i had the faucet out I decided that I had to replace the ugly scratched cast steel white sink that I couldn't stand to look at and didn't want to look at everyday for another 2 years.

The 2 year plan for the kitchen is to change the counter, backsplash and add an island.

Since the sink and faucet were out i went ahead and removed the orange mexican tile backsplash which didn't match the new color scheme and decor. I did consider painting the backsplash but seeing that they would have been removed at some point anyway i bit the bullet and removed them. I'm glad i did because i now see that it was the backsplash that was giving me far more trouble then the counter and I'll be okay living with the existing counter for a year or 2.

So the question is what do I do with the backsplash? Obviously I don't want/can't install tiles because I have to wait for the new counter to go in first. I need something that will look nice, inexpensive, and can go up just temporary. The wall is too battered to go the obvious paint route.

I searched the web for inexpensive backsplash ideas. So far I've only been able to come up with removable washable wallpaper, pegboard cut to size and painted, or a sheet of stainless steel.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, perhaps something they've done themselves or seen that looked very nice?

Below is a pic.

Much thanks : )

{{!gwi}}

Comments (15)