SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Changing agents questions

kats_meow
13 years ago

We have had our house on the market for several months and the listing will soon expire. We are inclined to switch agents (no, we don't blame our agent for the house failing to sale...however, I haven't been happy with the lack of guidance and information received). Since the listing expires shortly after Thanksgiving we were thinking of leaving it off the market for December then putting it back on. Ideally it would be off long enough that the cumulative days on market would be reset when it goes back on but we don't know how long that would require.

Anyway, we are considering interviewing a couple of agents. Do we need to wait until the listing has expired before doing that?

I looked at all the houses that have sold close to this area this year, particularly looking to see if there were any agents who sold more houses than others. Most agents had only sold one house. There were two agents that seemed to consistently have more sales.

One agent is his own brokerage and isn't one of the large brokers like Remax or whatever. He has more sales than anyone else and seems to have a lot of listings. I don't really know anything more about him except the fact that I see his listings around. Don't know anyone who has used him.

The other agent I know slightly and would perhaps lean to due to personal knowledge but the situation is a little tricky. She doesn't have as many sales as the first guy but has more sales than any other agents in this area. This agent lives in the subdivision I'm in and specializes in it and a few nearby subdivisions. I don't know her well (while in the same subdivision she doesn't live near me so I don't run into her). We met her when we were looking to buy in the area as she was the selling agent for a house in the subdivision. We had no buyer agent at the time and we entered into an option to buy the property she was agent on. The sale fell through during the option period but we liked dealing with her and thought she was very professional. She also has a ton of knowledge about the specific area and is very familiar with all the houses.

There are two tricky points. She is buyer agent for someone who has seen my house twice and is reportedly very interested in. However, her buyer has her own house on the market and hasn't sold it. We may never hear another word from that buyer of course but it could happen. I know that if the buyer ever did make an offer she would have to act as intermediary. I'm not sure if this is a reason not to use her as our agent though since it is a longshot that anything will ever come from her buyer (it has been months since the buyer saw our house).

The other tricky point is the house next door. The house has been on the market for over 2 years. It was originally listed at way too high a price (in retrospect, I'm sure it wasn't so clear at the time). The house is very different from ours. These are custom homes on acreage so they all differ a lot. It has more acreage than we do and is a smaller house with fewer bedrooms. It's listing price has been reduced by a lot but is still above ours. We do have people who look at our house and look at that one but they are very, very different.

Anyway, we found out that the neighbors are going to take take their house off the market for December and are considering switching to this second agent. I don't think that is a reason not to use her either. The houses are sufficiently different that I can't imagine a buyer who would like both houses.

Any thoughts?

Comments (8)