SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acadiafun

Buying And Selling At the Same Time- Nerve Wracking

Acadiafun
10 years ago

My nerves are shot and I may be totally crazy. I own a house in a lower middle class neighborhood. It's most incurable defect is that the neighborhood is deteriorating. It also does not have a garage, which has never been an issue for me or my husband. But of course- this is a deal breaker for many buyers. My neighborhood had been devastated by foreclosures from 2008 until 2012. This year is better, but still the occasional home crops up at half what others are selling for. My house is clean with lots of nice features (new windows, carpet, and paint, and a large backyard for the area, and deck).

So here is the crazy. I fall in love with a middle/upper class neighborhood that my daughter lives in. Trees, parks, acreage. The perfect bedroom community. I make a good living but the home prices here are very high. My daughter introduces me to the family of her neighbor. Their mom is in a nursing home. I ask them to let me know if they ever want to sell.

They blow me off. A year later I am actively looking for a home in my daughter's neighborhood (we are very close) and I get a pre-approval letter for a mortgage from my bank. I see the children of the neighbors and once again ask them to let me know if/when they want to sell. I show them my pre-approval.

They call me and we sit down and talk- their whole family. The house is a cosmetic mess. Kitchen is original from 1960 as is most of the house. Pros are new furnace, roof, AC, and electric. Plumbing needs some minor fixing but is copper. There is one small area in which carpenter ants need to be removed. Foundation is good, and the house sits on one acre with a two car garage. A dream come true for the fixer upper. A house with great "bones".

I offer 20% under market with them paying closing costs. They accept. House has been inspected and we close in 10 days.

With that said I think I have lost my mind. For a fast sale I listed my house 20% under market with full closing costs. I may need to present a cashier's check at closing to cover the short fall. I am willing to do this. I have seen other homes listed at market sell- nine months later.

If the deal from the buyers fall through I can cover both mortgages for 7 months before I dip into my 401K. I am 45 years old. I feel I may be too old to take such a risk with our savings mostly spent and our retirement as collateral.

But am have this dream. To live in such a nice, peaceful area with nature, close to family and work.

So anyways I hope it all works out. I usually don't take such risks, but really want to have a peaceful, beatiful neighborhood to come home to. I can walk in the park or kayak in the river. I can clean deer poop from my front yard instead of discarded beer cans. However, when I am 20 years older and I have not paid off my house I might feel differently. I just don't know if I am making the right decision.

This post was edited by Acadiafun on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 8:20

Comments (18)