SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

The rest of my house...DURING construction!

SusieQusie60
13 years ago

OK - maybe this is going to be harder than I thought. For someone who truly hates clutter, and so therefore believes in that old saying "a place for everything, and everything in its place" this mess all over my house is going to be very very difficult to deal with! So anyway, my new windows have arrived, and one has been installed. Tomorrow the builder is coming to install the rest and then fully gut our breakfast room. I started cleaning out that room a couple of weeks ago, but as of this morning, there was still quite a bit to do. So, I really got busy today. Every cabinet is empty. I can't believe how much stuff I have in there!! The somewhat scarey part is that this is ONLY the breakfast room. Nothing is cleaned out in the galley kitchen part. As a matter of fact, I've temporarily relocated some stuff from the breakfast room INTO the kitchen!

I guess the breakfast room is more of my "storage room" and the kitchen is more of my "working area" so I'm still able to cook and have the morning coffee and we can eat at our family room table - se we're not really being terribly inconvenienced yet ... except visually of course!!!

Here's what the breakfast room looks like right at this second, with 1 window installed. There are the other 3 ready to go on the right!

Here are a couple of shots of what my dining room looks like (it is right off of the breakfast room). At least the microwave is usable, and that's about 80% of my food spread out on the table and in the bags.

Looking OUT from the breakfast room toward the foyer and living room. Like the basket with the banana hanging in the hallway?

This one below is looking toward the breakfast room from the front foyer.

This is a shot from the dining room into the kitchen. I will have to totally clear the countertop so the new window can go in tomorrow. Other than that he's saving all the serious work and gutting on this 1/2 for right before the cabinets actually arrive. Notice the 2 holes in the soffit so he could determine that we could actually get rid of the soffit (yay.)

Not a great shot, but I've got a bunch of pots and pans piled up in the living room too!!

One of the best parts of this entire renovation? Actually getting my husband to get his darn gigantic gun safe OUT of my kitchen closet! The only place to put it was in my living room...not as bad an option as you might think. I'm totally fine with how it ended up looking:

He's got very easy access to it when necessary:

OK, that last picture is just my puppy dog...it's got nothing to do with my kitchen, but I couldn't resist. Isn't he adorable?

One other note, we've done literally NOTHING to either the living room or dining room in this house. I have no idea how long either of the wall papers have been up. Luckily, I really don't mind how the rooms look. I'd say they're both pretty "old school" which works for me.

I'm feeling (and hoping) that the job really starts tomorrow. Just having that breakfast room gutted is going to be so crazy! I'll be back for more advice, opinions and suggestions as soon as more decisions come-up...

SQ

Comments (26)