SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrboosmom

Farmhouse Table Needs Help

MrBoosMom
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

New here but a long time lurker to Gardenweb. I have a farmhouse table bought from Macy's 15 years ago that needed refinishing on the top. I have no idea what type of wood this is. It kinda looks like my red oak flooring but I know it's not oak (says made in Taiwan underneath) although the table is really heavy.

I stripped the top which is what needed refinishing and I do not plan on stripping the rest of the table except maybe the apron. It will be just too much work. I have 6 chairs that match the table. The picture is after stripping the top. I haven't done the apron yet.

Since I think it would be pretty impossible to match the stain and finish on the rest of the table and have it look decent, I was thinking of staining the top of the table ebony or almost black. What do you think? Would I be making a mistake? I've seen many tables that are black on the bottom and brown on the top but not vice versa. I plan on replacing the seat covers.
I also plan on buying a buffet table that would go with the table or maybe having one made.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths