SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abejadulce_z9b

preparing for orange peel

abejadulce_z9b
15 years ago

We are getting ready to apply orange peel to some new walls as a result of a remodel, and will reapply orange peel texture to another affected wall. The rest of the house has orange peel texture, so thats what we are doing to match with the new space.

My question is how good does my prep need to be? How fine does my prepped wall need to be? Do I need to sand out every visible knife mark or will it get lost in the orange peel?

On the one wall that we are re-texturing, there is only about 50 sf of wall space, because it is dominated by a 8ft span of French doors. I thinned drywall compound down to a looe pudding consistency and used a 8" drywall knife to apply it. The mud that goes on pink and dries white was perfect for this - you can see exactly where it is going. Then there are three new walls that have bee taped and mudded as normal preparation.

I don't mind doing the wet work - I think of it as frosting a cake. I'm getting better at it, thanks to what I've been reading here. But I am SO tired of sanding and dust.

So how do I know when I'm ready to go with texture? Is it when I say "no mas -I'm DONE sanding - texture NOW"? ;-p

Comments (3)