SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vero555

vinly stick and peel tile preparation

17 years ago

Hi, I have a question regarding vinly stick and peel tile prep. We want to do the kitchen floor with a vinly s&p tile that we found at HD. I have been looking at different websites on how to prep the exising floor. Our kitchen right now has that linoleum sheet flooring. It looks to be the only layer in the kitchen because we pulled up our carpet in the living room next to the kitchen and all we saw was the slab underneath the carpet pad which then ended right next to the kitchen linoleum. Anyways, while looking for the preparation for vinyl tiles I noticed that there were different ways to do it. One mentioned putting plywood on the floor so the tile can have something new to stick on. Another mentioned taking out the linoleum sheet and having to scrape off all the glue. Another mentioned that you can put the tiles over existing linoleum sheet flooring as long as it is cleaned very well. I would like to not have to remove the existing sheet since it is perfectly straight and has no damage to it. I also didn't really want to have to put plywood down since then we will have to figure out out how to do that without having to "close in" the dishwasher which I know shouldn't be done in case we needed to replace it later in the future. What i don't know is how to "completely clean" the existing floor. What types of products am I supposed to use. I want it to be easy since I'm 7 months along in my pregnancy and I would like to finish the kitchen since my husband and I just finished installing that Traffic masters wood laminate in the living room and hall way. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comment (1)