SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wamot

Mudroom dilemma: Butler's Pantry or Bench?

wamot
10 years ago

We have a dilemma on how to use the space in mudroom. We have a mudroom off the garage, which connects the kitchen, backyard and garage in our new home. It is a narrow but longer room, about 12' by 5'.

On the end closer to kitchen, there are three door/doorway: door to garage, door to backyard patio, doorway to kitchen. Then on the far end, there is a half bath and a decent size coat closet (Attached photo shows the view from kitchen into mudroom ).

After reserving the hallway space between kitchen and the half bath, we have a workable space about 8' by 2'. Since the kitchen is not huge(10' by 15'), we were thinking a butler's pantry to add more storage(putting base and wall cabinets, and then countertop).

If we put 3 units of cabinets, it would take about 6', and leaves only 2', which is a small space for a bench. If we put only 2 units of cabinets, it would take 4' - 5', which leaves at least 3' for a decent size bench.

A butler's pantry with 3 units would be much more pleasing aesthetically(see the attached design), but a larger bench in mudroom seems provide more practical use.

This is my very first post here, I searched and read lots of very inspiring topics and discussion here, but I did not find a similar topic. Any advise or comment is welcome! Thank you!

Comments (13)